Firefox 3 beta 2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz CD 2GB RAM; iPhone
So I just read about the release of the newest release of the firefox 3 beta and before I put it on my machine, I was wondering if anyone out there has tried it out yet and had any comments or critiques that they could lend. From the reviews I've read, it seems like a quality improvement over their already stellar program. Any info people have would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
I have just started using it. So far so good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I worked well for me, but the extensions I rely on for work are not caught up yet. So I cannot use it.

OP
NolaWegs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
will my various add-ons (foxytunes, stumbleupon, etc) be able to transfer of the 3? also, would it be wise to keep my current version of 2 around just in case things don't go as planned?

OP
NolaWegs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
never mind that question, just answered it myself, apparently add-ons are hit or miss with 3 as of right now. some work with it, some don't.

gotta love that new menu bar not to mention the post-login password remembering option!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe it overwrites your previous version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can set up profiles in firefox. Duplicate your current profile, rename it FF3b2 (or something). That way you won't overwrite your FF2 settings with FF3's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it me or is it much quicker then the last version?

OP
NolaWegs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i would tend to agree with you, i just installed it myself this morning and it feels like i'm moving faster with it as well. we'll see how things go after a bit more usage time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes we sure will. Good luck :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I got a new mac, the same version FF (2) was really fast on the new machine. Until I loaded the extensions I use. Then it was the same speed.

So a true speed comparison would be both versions loaded with the same extension set (or none at all)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Looks like Firefox 3, beta 3 is out. The new UI/skin is absolutely stunning. It looks as good as (and IMO, better than) Safari and adds a good bit of new functionality:

2008-02-13_1032.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I hope this version is good, I'm running out of browser choices. My preference is Opera, but there's just so much stuff that doesn't work with it (I can't even pay for eBay purchases with Paypal in Opera) is basically unusable, Camino is too feature-free and again too many sites don't work, and Safari doesn't do enough. FireFox 2 is okay, but I find it unstable sometimes.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hope this version is good, I'm running out of browser choices. My preference is Opera, but there's just so much stuff that doesn't work with it (I can't even pay for eBay purchases with Paypal in Opera) is basically unusable, Camino is too feature-free and again too many sites don't work, and Safari doesn't do enough. FireFox 2 is okay, but I find it unstable sometimes.

I like Opera, but find it to be a little weird at times too. I would use Safari, but much prefer the way Firefox handles RSS feeds (in particular, you can put an RSS feed in your Bookmarks Toolbar and have it drop down and display a synopsis of the current stories). So, for now, I stick to Firefox - and for anything it can't handle, I switch over to Safari.

Since beta 2, FF3 has been pretty stable for me. So far, I haven't had a single issue with beta 3 (admittedly, it's only been about a day and a half in constant usage).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I'm running Firefox 3 Beta 3 on OS X and it looks and feels amazing. Quite honestly it makes Firefox 2 look like last decade's technology and the looks/feel is at least as good as Safari or Camino, so I expect a lot of Camino people will migrate.

Highly recommended. The only site I found that it was not recognized on, so far, is Turbo Tax. I have had zero crashes (Beta 2 crashed about once a week or so).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb
I just started using Beta 3 and the interface is incredible, they did such a great upgrade this time. So far everything works perfectly except for a couple of my add-ons, but I can live without those for a while.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just started using Beta 3 and the interface is incredible, they did such a great upgrade this time. So far everything works perfectly except for a couple of my add-ons, but I can live without those for a while.

I know, isn't it amazing? The UI is even better than Safari's. It's hard to believe that it's Firefox under there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 20" with 3Gb RAM and a 13"Macbook with 4Gb RAM
Well i downloaded it and it does look great. But everytime i try and download anything through FF3 it doesn't happen and it's extremely odd cause i can't seem to figure the problem. Any of you'll faced with the same thing?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed, the interface is great and much nicer than I figured it would be.

To qunal, I just tried downloading files and it's fine here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.