Video capture / DVD burning recommendations on powerbook.

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Hoping I can get some advice here. I'm going to buy a 15" PowerBook soon, just want to wait until September when the new ones come out. I've never owned a mac. I'm looking to purchase an external firewire or usb capture device that supports svideo that I can hook up my digital cable receiver to. What I ultimately want to do is whenever a movie or program comes on that I want, plug in my powerbook to the device and use a program on the powerbook to record the movie. Then I want to be able to burn it to a DVD. I'm just wondering if first anyone can recommend a good but inexpensive capture device that will do this, and secondly a program for the PowerBook that will make this process easy. I'd ultimately either like to be able to record the show and then have it ready to burn to DVD, or record it and then automatically burn. I just don't want to have to use one program to record, another to re-encode, another to burn and so on. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much.

P

PinkPhishDoors

First off, I would not get your hopes of having new powerbooks come out next month( because it is hard to cool the G5)
Now about the "video" i am assuming you don't mean a camera, right? Well i am not sure about this, but i think you don't need one. All you need is and adapter and a program on your powerbook that will record the data. I am sure you can either get one of these programs for free or for around 10$ USD. Then you can use iDVD to burn it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.