Update to 10.4.11 issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2.33GHz 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 sdram, OSX 10.4.8
Hello forum,
This is my first post. Greetings to all.

Recently i updated from 10.4.10 to 10.4.11 and experienced serious problems. The system would not boot up on restart and kept getting the kernel panic shutdown message. I could not get past it and eventually apple support talked me through an archive and install. now i am back to using 10.4.8, and i am a little frightened by having to try an upgrade to 10.4.11 just yet as i do not need the hassle and interruption.

In any case, i will wait perhaps until next release.

My question to the forum is while browsing my system, i found the following folder which was created around the time i had to reinstall:
Macintosh HD>Previous Systems>Previous System 1

The folder is around 11GB and i wouldn't mind clearing the drive space. Can somebody tell me if this folder is quarantined and if deleted would make no affect on the operation of the macbook.?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yes deleting it would make no effect on the system. It's just the old system you used before the archive and install. But I'd have a look around in it to see if there is anything in there you want to keep or not.

Reaction score
Also, if you do want to update to 10.4.11, go to Apples site and download the combo updater. Sometimes there's problems using the Software Update pref pane in System Preferences.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-forums, evonzz.

The Previous System folder simply means you used the Archive and Install option to reinstall your OS at one time or another.

If you want to know what Archive and Install does exactly, read this Apple Knowledge Base article, Mac OS X: About the Archive and Install feature, it explains it very nicely. See the About Archive and Install section at the beginning.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Hello forum,
This is my first post. Greetings to all.

Recently i updated from 10.4.10 to 10.4.11 and experienced serious problems. The system would not boot up on restart and kept getting the kernel panic shutdown message. I could not get past it and eventually apple support talked me through an archive and install. now i am back to using 10.4.8, and i am a little frightened by having to try an upgrade to 10.4.11 just yet as i do not need the hassle and interruption.

In any case, I will wait perhaps until next release.
I believe that 10.4.11 is the final release to Apple's Tiger. Apple will release security updates from time to time, but another release to Tiger is highly unlikely.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes deleting it would make no effect on the system. It's just the old system you used before the archive and install. But I'd have a look around in it to see if there is anything in there you want to keep or not.

I am looking through the previous system library folders and have been copying stuff over i think is useful.
There is one folder called Receipts which seems to have alot of .pkg files which i assume are downloaded updates. If i copy these over, will they be installed properly? or should i double click them to install and bring system up to where it was before?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't touch the receipts folder. Removing or adding to it will cause you problems. The Apple installer and disk utility will take of the contents in that folder.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i am referring to the receipts folder in the previous system. Can i double click the .pkg fles to run installer which will subsequently place in current receipts folder?
for example there are system and software updates in the previous system. Should i just download these again as required or can I shortcut by reinstalling from previous receipts.?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It would be better to run software update and/or download the files to installed again.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks rman.

on your aphorism...I always say perfection is simply the option with the least imperfection.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the word, I will have to remember that one :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: MacBook Pro Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Pr
sim ilar issues

xcuse any typos- my boxer is trying to help, and her head and paws are to big for the laptop...

When I upgraded to 10.4.11, I had a variety of problems, and a friend told me I needed to reinstall my firmware. Did so, and have had no further probs with system...

casa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
Finally got around to this update yesterday and it killed the OS. It wouldn't even take an archive and install. Had to erase the OS Partition and reinstall clean (Thankfully, I keep all my important data on a separate partition so I can reinstall whenever I want and not loose my data). After the clean install, I reattempted the 10.4.11 update and everything worked as advertised. It's running good again but I'm not quite sure why it killed the OS 1st time around.

-MikeM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Who knows Mike.

Prefer always to download only software updates, run Repair Permissions, install and run them again afterwards as a precaution. Your 1.8 will be much more responsive and faster after the reinstall.

With all the OS changes really think an external Firewire HDD in a case is the go these days. You will be able to boot from the external drive in the event of any problems.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Regarding ext FW drives - how exactly does that work if i was to have one on stand by?

Load the OS onto that drive, or mirror the mac drive onto the external?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: MacBook Pro Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Pr
i have always used my external for archiving and backups… a partial mirror if you will…

Also, I was completely unable to load 4.11 from the downloads, hence the firmware. Still, I haven't had any issues at all with it since then. Who knows what lurks inside the mighty OS… only the architects, writers, etc, and they ain't telling:Lips-Are-Sealed:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.