Oh woe is me!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
Ahhh.

I just had to post something to you guys and girls after what has just happened to me. :Oops:

Just about an hour ago I dropped my mint first edition MBP and it was in an Air-Tech carry bag (those ones with the air filled tubes surrounding the laptop)

It landed fairly swiftly on tarmac after slipping off my shoulder as I helped someone get stuff out of their car. I picked it up thinking it would be fine. Then while the person was scraping the ice off their windescreen, I got it out whilst in the car and seen that it had initially hit the back corner where the DVI port is and had bent the little strip of metal that runs along the top out of place, put a 'feelable' dent in back bit of the corner, and then popped the top surface of the speaker grille up about a milimeter.

I know all this sounds petty but it freaked me out because I also thought if it took enough impact to make those dents then what impact did the internals take? and what damage might it have endured?

Anyway, I got into the studio and I turned Joanna Newsome up full blast to check the speakers, thurned the screen up and down, screwed in a DVI adapter to make sure the warped surrounding could still let one fit in (which it does -whew!), all USB ports still work and I am playing HD .mov files right now to check the hard drive (even though it was at the lighter end of the impact.

So, so far all looks ok, I just pray it doesn't decide to play up some time down the road with a slow baking problem relating to the drop.

So, what's the point of this post I hear you scream in phlegm rendering yells of desperation. Well, here are the things I wanted to ask/tell...

1) Does anyone know a quick simple way of bending warped metal on the bottom half of the casing on a MBP back into place without having to take off the keyboard?

2) What extra tests would you reccommend to check all is ok?

3) People, from this I would like to reccommend something if you carry your laptop around in a carry case. Allways, ALLWAYS put the strap over your head even if you are just carrying it a few meters, or just standing still. I usually do this, and the one time I didn't, this happens

4) Anybody with really nasty stories of laptop drops that rendered bad damage but the laptop still functions to this day? (to make me feel better :D )

5) Allways make sure your DeLorean is primed and Mr. Fusion is loaded to the hilt in case you drop your laptop because all I have been thinking about is I wish I could have told myself this was going to happen ( I don't care about causing a temporal rip in the space time continuum from meeting myself )

Cheers for reading, I feel little better allready for getting this off my chest.

Mel

P.s Incase I don't post before Christmas, to anyone who reads this and to all you kind people who have given me positive reputation marks over the year, have a cracking Christmas and a great new year and see you all on the flip side of the year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
2) What extra tests would you reccommend to check all is ok?

If you have the installation disk no.2, it would be a good idea to do the hardware test.

Wish you too a Merry Christmas!

OP
melmation
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
unknown problems...

Hello all.

Well, as you can see from my above post, I dropped my laptop. All seemed fine until last night when I tried to watch a DVD in it and the drive went crazy. Popping, clicking, speeding up, powering down. It just about played the DVD, but anything else, like home burned DVD's just wouldn't load, so, I am guessing from the drop, it has mis-aligned the laser and this is causing it to freak out and sparadicly search. So, onec angain I need your guys help.

1) Do you think there is a program or utility which would let me 'software' re-calibrate the Optical drive?

3) if not, would you reccommend me bringing it to an apple store or rlacing it myself?

4) Has anyone ever replaced the optical drive themselves? was it hard?

Well, I hope someone has some advice as it has really narked me off that I now have an optical drive that doesn't want to play ball.

Mel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
Hello all.

Well, as you can see from my above post, I dropped my laptop. All seemed fine until last night when I tried to watch a DVD in it and the drive went crazy. Popping, clicking, speeding up, powering down. It just about played the DVD, but anything else, like home burned DVD's just wouldn't load, so, I am guessing from the drop, it has mis-aligned the laser and this is causing it to freak out and sparadicly search. So, onec angain I need your guys help.

1) Do you think there is a program or utility which would let me 'software' re-calibrate the Optical drive?

3) if not, would you reccommend me bringing it to an apple store or rlacing it myself?

4) Has anyone ever replaced the optical drive themselves? was it hard?

Well, I hope someone has some advice as it has really narked me off that I now have an optical drive that doesn't want to play ball.

Mel
What happened Mel! did you get it sorted ok

Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.