Which mini-dvi cable is best for connecting macbook to external monitor?

Reaction score
I will be getting an external monitor to hook up to my macbook in the near future, and I was wondering which cable was best. I found this one:

Amazon.com.

The only issue I have with this one is, will it be long enough to reach the external monitor without limiting the set-up? I like it because its apple and white. I want one that obviously isn't too short, and at the same time doesn't have too much left over wire.

P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Which one you need depends wholly on what connector is available on your TV. If you have a DVI port, then get the one you linked to. If you have a VGA port, then you're going to need to get the mini-DVI to VGA adapter.

The adapters aren't very long, a few inches at best. It was designed this way to allow you to buy a size of your choosing. This way you're not stuck with either extra cable or not having enough. I personally have a six foot cord for when I want to connect to a TV and it works great. Be sure to get one that has the same type of connector at the end

Reaction score
I have that one the cable is tiny about 7cm long, i use it with just a cheap 1m VGA cable. Unless your extremely close to your monitor or your monitor has a long lead you will be needing an extension cable because too much tension on the converter will pop it right out since it's not a very secure connection.

Reaction score
I couldn't find one on the Apple store and cable with the right VGa connection will work, mine only cost me about 3£

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you're going to have your external monitor relatively close to the Mac, then most likely the cable that comes with your monitor should be sufficient. If not, first check to see if the cable that comes out of your monitor is detachable. If it is, then you can replace it outright. If not, then you're looking at an extension. I would definitely suggest buying any cables online as retail prices are obscenely expensive.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your help guys, much appreciated. have either of you experienced any problems running dual monitors?

Reaction score
Nope, i currently have parallels os window on an external monitor and normal OSX on my laptop screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.