Mac OS X unexpectedly quits

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 1.67 GHZ w/ 1 GB RAM & Dual Mac G5.
Hello.

So here's the story. I was watching a streaming flick when my screen went gray and said I need to restart my computer manually. Upon doing so I got the box informing me that OS X unexpectedly quit. I then tried to continue browsing the web when Safari will just quit with out giving me the dialouge box.

I then tried to run Onyx which unexpectedly quits as well as any other app I try to run. I even tried making a new user and it does the same trickery.

Any suggestions on what I should do? I cannot even repair disk permissions because that quits. Plus I did that from my DVD about 2 weeks ago, so I wouldn't think that is the issue. Also Onyx is able to check the S.M.A.R.T and it always passes, then it quits.

Should I just restore my computer to the factory settings. If so is that the erase and install feature on the DVD?

Sorry for the incoherence, I'm just lost/worried/ and scared its gonna cost me some dough.

By the way its a Powerbook G4 1 Gb of RAM, running off 10.4.11.

Respect.
Professor Fresh.

M

MacHeadCase

By the description you give, what you experienced was a kernel panic.

You might try an Erase and Install after backing up your files on an external hard drive. See where this takes you.

I would also run Apple's Hardware Test (Extended Test) if ever things started to go creepy again.

I think there is too much of a mess in there to start some troubleshooting: I mean if OnyX can't run there is something fundamentally wrong with your Mac, either the System or some hardware component.

The only thing I could suggest at this point is, if you have Alsoft's DiskWarrior, now's the time to run it. But if you don't, a reinstall might be the only thing to do at this point.

OP
Professor_Fresh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 1.67 GHZ w/ 1 GB RAM & Dual Mac G5.
MHC.

So I performed an Archive and Install seconds prior to writing this reply. If I get this off, that means Safari has not quite on me.....yet. However it seems to be running slower, especially at the restart it took a while to load the desktop.

I am contmeplating doing an Erase and Install now, since it would be a fresh start, and all the documents/music was able to be transferred to my external before I did the archive & install.

Lemme know what you think. I'm gonna keep this puppy going as so for a bit in hopes I'll here from you or someone soon. That is if it doesn't start acting up again.

Now that Im on 10.4.3 should I do one update daily to get back to 4.11 or does it not matter if I do them one after another?

Respect.
The Professor.

M

MacHeadCase

I personally go with Erase and Install: I prefer it because I start from scratch, get rid of all the apps I installed over time and hardly ever use, get rid of orphaned files here and there, etc.

As for the updates, take these precautions: unplug all unnecessary peripherals, go to Apple/Support/Downloads and download the Combo updater for your Mac (either Intel-based or PowerPC).

A Combo updater, when available, goes through more check ups and optimizations of the system then incremental updates.

A word of caution: when doing OS updates or installs, do not use your Mac while the processes are underway, just let them run their course and restart. This gives you the best chances for a successful update/install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.