Tiger on IBook G3

Reaction score
I got my 1st MAC almost a year ago and love it. So far I have figured out what I need to do by trial and error or this forum.

Recently a friend of mine asked me to look at her IBook G3. She wanted to put Leopard on it but I told her it won't support it. So we are looking at Tiger. It sounds/looks (reading the forum) like the IBook will run it just fine but I was curious. Is there a separate Tiger install disk for Intel MACs and PPC MACs? I looked at the install disk that were sent with my MacBook but I didn't see anything that specified Intel or PPC but I figure these disk are just for my MacBook.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciate.

Her IBook is 700mhz has 768 megs of ram.
It does have a DVD drive.

For curiosity sake what is her IBook worth? She got it from her mother, hand me down, so maybe I will just buy it or trade it for another Windows based machine but I don't want anyone getting a raw deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
oohh...

Mac is not an acronym, it's an abreviation so no need to capitalize all 3 letters... some people get annoyed about that. :D

Secondly, the iBook G3 700mhz can only run 640MB of RAM, which is 128MB base and 512MB additional.

Thirdly, yes you're right, you should not be using OX X install disks that came with other machines. The license does not allow for that, so at worst it's illegal and at best, it's theft. You should purchase the commercial release of Tiger, which you can probably pick up pretty cheap now. The commercial release contains both the PPC and Intel binaries on it.

...and yes, an iMac G3 can run Tiger pretty well with 640MB of RAM - however you'll find flash heavy and h.264 driven sites pretty slow.

OP
T
Reaction score
Well thank you for all your corrections.
I guess I will stick to just finding the answers and not asking questions. I was not aware of the format Mac users require to be a part of a community. Maybe that was in the forum rules and I missed it.

I guess I am a Mac user and not a Mac community member.

M

MacHeadCase

Another thing to add to Zoolook's reply is that OS disks that come with another Mac are restore disks that are machine, model or hardware specific.

And the meaning of MAC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Well thank you for all your corrections.
I guess I will stick to just finding the answers and not asking questions. I was not aware of the format Mac users require to be a part of a community. Maybe that was in the forum rules and I missed it.

I guess I am a Mac user and not a Mac community member.

I think you got the wrong end of a non-existent stick. There is a difference between MAC and Mac, and if you're too sensitive to be told that, I'm very sorry. I thought you might appreciate not having to hold down the shift key every time you type mac!

I also did answer your questions(?), apart from the one about how much it is worth. I sold a 700mhz iBook G3 with an airport card for $240 just over a year ago. If yours is in good condition and works, then I'd say it's worth $150 - $200 with an airport card.

There is no need to be defensive, you're very welcome here!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.