• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Time Person of the Year 2007

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Seems an odd choice to me!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i don't want to see this spiral downward into a nasty debate...

i'm surprised and disappointed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
Interesting choice.

I would have bet Al Gore to win, even though I was hoping Jobs would.

OP
cheesybanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
i don't want to see this spiral downward into a nasty debate...

I'm surprised and disappointed.

Nah, it doesn't have to. Ignore inappropriate posts, they get deleted by mod, everyone is happy :D

It certainly is an interesting choice. The Person of the Year does not necessarily have to be 'good', just have an impact on the world. And Putin has certainly been having an impact on the world, though we are doing a good job of ignoring it.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
agreed. on all points... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
not a bad choice, he took russia from a collapsing state run by a government the was deeply corrupt. to a country with a strong head of government, and as raised the living standards of the country. He has taking the country from debt to a country with one of the biggest reserves.

its just to bad that he has passed certain laws that resemble the old soviet union.

he is generally good man with some scary concepts and laws.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Well, he made a huge impact in the world in '07. The things he did weren't necessarily good, in fact, most of the things he did in '07 were questionable and worrisome. So, I guess he deserves it... kinda... maybe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
J.K. Rowling. Single handedly got people back into reading.

Reaction score
LOL, she would have been a fine choice.

And I also figured it would be Al Gore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Reaction score
The choice isn't a popularity contest, but top newsmaker, mover and shaker. Using those criteria, Putin, I think, would top Gore, and why Hitler had made the list.

But IMO, Time naming a Person of the Year is a huge conceit, made even worse by the magazine itself inventing the thing in the first place to make itself a news item. I'm old-school enough to consider that a cardinal sin. Report the news, don't make it, least of all with a tab headline, which I think breaks Time's own house style — tsar, not czar — for the impact of the play on words. If so, it further cheapens the entire exercise.

In any event, the most recent emperor of all the Russias is just another old-Soviet KGB thug.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Nicely put, Brown Study. ^_^ You said with equanimity what I would have liked to have said without same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
And look at the impact HE made on the world. Seems like they made a good choice :Smirk:

Yeah, that was certainly prophetic. Or at least insightful. I wonder if Putin's nomination will be looked on in the same way twenty years from now

... I was hoping Jobs would.

Steve Jobs came very close to winning for 1982...he was passed over because he had an illegitimate child and Time didn't think it was appropriate to present him as a hero (and he wasn't a villain...certainly not then.)

Instead, they made a slightly gimmicky choice..."Machine of the year."
http://ei.cs.vt.edu/~history/Time.MOTY.1982.html

Reaction score
I too thought Gore had it won, with the year he had.

So why didn't Steve Jobs win this year? He had a big year (Apple & Disney) and no illegitimate children (that I am aware of?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
His daughter (Lisa) is illegitimate as he and her mother were not married when she was born.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.