• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The Mac startup chime

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
The Mac start up chime. It was updated to it's current form around the time of the Power Mac 9600. That's around 1997. And even that was a tiny change from it's predecessor. My question is why has Apple not changed or updated this sound in so long?

PS. Mods move this topic wherever you see fit. I had no idea where to put it.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The chime to me is just like the corporate logo. When you see the logo, you know it is Apple hardware. When you hear the chime again you know it is Apple hardware.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I hope no one throws any rotten tomatoes at me for this, but make it Steve Balmer screaming! :D

I have NO issues with the chime the way it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I *like* the chime! Why hasn't it changed? Easy (he says, tongue in cheek). You can't improve on perfection!

Reaction score
The Titanic Syndrome

Once upon a time, the chime, when the system was screwed up, was replaced by the sound of shattering glass. Now it appears that Apple takes itself too seriously for such frivolity. It's as though that in the face of reality, nothing can possibly go wrong anymore, and that really, Apple is all grown up. There's no room left for such things as the goofy Option-File-About This Mac Easter egg.

Humour is out. Three-piece suits and double-starched underwear are in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Personally, I don't like it. It's just kind of harsh and jarring, especially when you have to turn your computer on in a library and have no way of silencing the darn thing!!

I wish they would at least make an option to silence it. I downloaded a program to silence it (Startup Sound), but it still goes off! It's just embarrassing when it does that and everyone looks up at you. And it's not very good for Apple's rep when everyone hears it, sees an Apple computer, and then a feeling of annoyance which they then connect to the product.

M

MacHeadCase

You can silence it. On the new Alu keyboard, just type fn + f10 or go to your System Preferences -> Sound -> Output tab -> click on the Mute button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I just something called "Startup Sound" for my MBP.

I haven't heard that chime in a couple months. It's so useful NOT to hear it. I use my laptop for school, and it would be incredibly irritating to hear that chime halfway through class.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Hit mute on the keyboard before you turn the computer off... It won't chime when you start up. Why would you shut it down so much to hear it often anyways?

Mine don't go off unless I'm out of the house for several days. Laptop is always sleeping when not in use.

I like the chime!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Hit mute on the keyboard before you turn the computer off... It won't chime when you start up. Why would you shut it down so much to hear it often anyways?

Agreed. Unless you like to install your security updates in libraries and during movies, why would you hear it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
It scares the crap out of me when I start up my machine in the middle of the night... lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed. Unless you like to install your security updates in libraries and during movies, why would you hear it?

Sometimes I have to switch over to Windows for certain programs and then back again. Sometimes the wifi in the library sucks, so I have to switch ti a wired connection and for some reason doing that with the library's internet connection requires me to restart to make it work. And sometimes I just want to restart because a person looks at me funny.

Why is it sometimes when someone posts a situation there's always the "why would you want/have to do that? I don't have to, thus nobody should have to either" comment? It's a little annoying.

You can silence it. On the new Alu keyboard, just type fn + f10 or go to your System Preferences -> Sound -> Output tab -> click on the Mute button.

I don't want to mute the whole system though, I just want to get rid of the chime without having to think about hitting mute before starting up. startup chimes for any system are completely useless anyway other than to announce to everyone what OS you're using for some kind of advertisement.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I *like* the chime! Why hasn't it changed? Easy (he says, tongue in cheek). You can't improve on perfection!

OS 10.4 well with the dot releases became an almost perfect system. And why change/upgrade it, to stay ahead of the game I guess. And the same principle applies to the chime. Personally I think each mac should have it's own distinct chime. Just a little quirk I'd like Apple to do.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't want to mute the whole system though, I just want to get rid of the chime without having to think about hitting mute before starting up. startup chimes for any system are completely useless anyway other than to announce to everyone what OS you're using for some kind of advertisement.
The start up chime is part of a diagnostic check. If the system is okay you will hear the regular chime sound meaning all is okay. If not you will hear sound else like the beeping, when bad memory is installed.

The question you are posing is it needed? It is one of those things that has alway been there from the beginning.

Reaction score
I don't want to mute the whole system though, I just want to get rid of the chime without having to think about hitting mute before starting up.
Use these two AppleScripts (saved as applications) instead of the Shut Down and Restart menu items. Leave them on the desktop or put them somewhere and drag their aliases into the dock.

set volume 0
tell application "finder"
shut down
end tell

set volume 0
tell application "finder"
restart
end tell

Write another even shorter, one-line script and include it in the log-in items:

set volume 2

Or

set volume 3

or whatever number best matches your volume setting.

The set volume 0 command mutes the sound for the next startup. The set volume 2 (or whatever) turns the sound back up after the chime would have sounded.

It's a work-around because you'd have to break the habit of using the menu-bar restart/shut-down commands. But I've used these types of scripts since System 7, so they're second-nature now. (The scripts are a tad more complicated in systems 7-9.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Brown, I'll give it a try.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.