Mac complete Newbie,help please!

Reaction score
Hi,this is my first post,probably one of many to come! I just bought an i Mac OS X desk top,and as I live way down South in Amami Oshima a very rural sub tropical island in South Japan,the electrical store that sold the mac local store can offer little in the way of English language help!

What I have managed to do,after checking the internet on my old Gateway desktop running ME,is start it up and check what it can do,mostly!I think once I do get used to this very different but sleek and `easy' to use PC,I will really like it.

However somebody Mac savvy please tell me a few simple things,that for me at least for now are not that obvious!
1.How do I get to type anything?
2.I am not yet connected to the internet,but my Gateway is and to ADSL broadband. Tomorrow a Japanese friend who owns a mac will come and `join' the two PCs,will that mean they can `share' the internet and broadband connection?

Sorry for these NEWBIE questions,but until I get a good English language user
manual I need your help!I speak Japanese ok,but I cannot read the Japanese languge user guide in the box!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
1) The easiest way to simply type something is with TextEdit. It is found in the Application folder:
attachment.php

2) The best way to share the internet connection is with a Router. Making one of the PCs share the connection puts extra load on that machine.

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Can you shop at Amazon.com from where you live? Some really good manuals are written by David Pogue - the Missing Manual series. They could help you immensly! I recommend them highly!

Welcome to our world! We are happy to help with any questions you may have, so keep us in mind! But do try the manual, you will find it enlightening!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.