• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Hooking up MacBokk to HDTV via HDMI

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.53GHz, 6GB of RAM, Seagate Momentus XT 500GB (late 2008)
I was wondering if this cable would be appropiate to connect my MacBook to my HDTV. I already have Mini DVI to DVI adapter, but my TV doesn't have DVI, only HDMI.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That'll work. It's what I use with my MBP.

OP
Wheeljack
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks dude. I still can't understand why some of these cable go for $40 in stores when you can get them for $4 online.

Reaction score
Because people believe that hdmi and dvi cables need to be of top quality construction. However this is not the case because hdmi/dvi cables send digital signals, it either works or it doesn't. You do want to look for a good shielded cable if your using an analog source such as s-video, rca, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Because people believe that hdmi and dvi cables need to be of top quality construction. However this is not the case because hdmi/dvi cables send digital signals, it either works or it doesn't. You do want to look for a good shielded cable if your using an analog source such as s-video, rca, etc.

Best Buy and them jack the prices for profits. Those cables don't cost more than a few dollars. It makes up for the little margin they make selling other items. That's why they are always pushing you to buy accessories.

Reaction score
Exactly, best buy is by far the worst place to go buy accessories from. I was told that the monster cables they try to rip people off with cost them around 10 dollars yet they think im going to buy it for 125 dollars :eek:

OP
Wheeljack
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got a bunch of cables and accesories for about $25:

6.6ft DVI to HDMI cable
2 meter HDMI 1.3b cable
12ft of fiber optic cable
2 Toslink to Mini plug adapters

Try to get that in Best Buy!

Reaction score
hey wheeljack, monoprice has really great cables for a really cheap price. check them out whenever needing to buy audio/video cables. i just purchased some high quality HDMI cables (gold plated) for about $6! i'm currently using a gold plated DVI-D cable that i got for $10 to run my macbook to my external monitor and it works great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White
Umm you need mini dvi to hdmi not dvi to hdmi

Reaction score
No you don't, as there is no such thing. You need to attach the cable discussed above to the mini DVI to DVI adaptor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Would using this on a MBP solve the problem of the image not filling the entire screen? I currently use a DVI to S-video adaptor, but there is a 2" black bar around the entire screen.

OP
Wheeljack
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would using this on a MBP solve the problem of the image not filling the entire screen? I currently use a DVI to S-video adaptor, but there is a 2" black bar around the entire screen.

It should. S-Video does not have enough bandwidth to fill a 1280x720 or 1920x1080 picture.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the op has a MacBook not Pro then that cable won't work unless he goes mini dvi to dvi the use that cable the picture would terrible though

OP
Wheeljack
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

If the op has a MacBook not Pro then that cable won't work unless he goes mini dvi to dvi the use that cable the picture would terrible though

I do have the Mini DVI to DVI adapter. Why do you say the picture will be terrible with this cable? Because of the use of two adapters (mini dvi to dvi, dvi to hdmi)?? It shouldn't!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To many connections you can get hd through the mini dvi to dvi cable you know

OP
Wheeljack
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do, but my TV only has VGA and HDMI. There's no DVI input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok then i'm still saying that the quality the way you want to it would be bad nothing like you want it to be

Reaction score
As all they are doing is transferring digital data from one device to another, there should be no effect on the quality of the image whatsoever using a combination of any digital cables (DVI/HDMI).

I use these to connect my Powerbook to my HDTV (Mine also only has HDMI and no DVI) and the quality is excellent.

Reaction score
Same here. I have my macbook hooked-up to a 42" LCD tv with a mini dvi to dvi adapter and > dvi to hdmi cable. The quality is also excellent. The one problem I have is that it freezes up when I load youtube videos. Anyone have any insight to this? (sorry to hijack your thread).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.