Boot Camp - Windows won't read Mac Disc for Driver Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have been through half a dozen headaches and a dozen hours of time wasted on this problem. I've tried multiple windows discs untill finally I bought a brand new version of Windows XP Pro. I've followed all of the instructions in my printed boot camp manual and I continously run into one problem:

Once windows is installed completely and I am at the windows desktop and need to eject the windows disc and insert the leopard disc to install drivers, I do so and windows does not recognize the mac disc whatsoever. It says the drive is empty, it is 0kb of 0kb, I cannot explore the drive, I cannot do anything. If I open it it is blank. I cannot access the internet in any way on windows because there are no corresponding drivers.. so I am at a loss.

Can anyone please help me? What do I do? I really apologize if this question has been answered, but I could really use some help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Have you tried making a disc image of the Leopard DVD? Then use some tool to mount the disc image on Windows and it should recognise it. Open Disk Utility and see if there are two 'sessions' on the Leopard disc. this is usually the case with mac+PC discs (at least it is on my Wacom driver discs)

Of course, if some member could point out where in the disc lie the Windows drivers, it would be really helpful.

OP
S
Reaction score
I don't think the mounting thing will work, because I'd need to some how get daemon on windows, or some other mounting program...

I was thinking maybe I could download the right drivers, or at least the network drivers (maybe airport extreme or ethernet, whatever) on the mac partition, and then copy them to the windows partition via hard drive link on mac end. But I have no idea where I can download these drivers, all I can find is an airport extreme update driver for windows, but it's merely an update and not the base =/.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Make Image of the "Windows session" using disk utility
Mount it in Mac OS X.
Copy stuff from the image onto the Windows drive
Run the installer.

Of course this is only if there is in fact two sessions on the Leopard DVD.

Leopard should seriously allow one to burn a Windows drivers disc...

OP
S
Reaction score
I don't think there are "two sessions." I opened up disk utility and under my CD drive it just says "Mac OS X Install DVD" once.

OP
S
Reaction score
PLease can somebody point me to some downloadable mac drivers for windows? I've looked all over mac-update.com and tried the airport utility, but that is for setting up a router... which I don't need to do... I just need to detect a wireless setting like I do on mac... please... any drivers I can use to get this working, particular cd rom drivers so I can read the leopard disc while on windows and install the drivers the normal way...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I hope this does not cause any issues but I have to ask, is your Leopard DVD a Store Bought DVD? I have heard of this issue with people using a torrent downloaded Leopard DVD because the Windows Drivers part was missing. Not accusing you of anything but being sure. I can take my leopard DVD and put it in any PC in my house and it auto runs and the installer comes up for the drivers.

OP
S
Reaction score
It was burnt from a friend who bought the legit copy on the day of the release. He's used the burnt copy to install leopard on another comp before with no problems. He's out of state though and mailed it to me and I don't believe he attempted to do boot camp with the burnt version yet. I assume it has something to do with burning the disc with multisession. Windows is not viewing the leopard dvd, but it can view the windows cd. It's not that the drivers aren't there, I know they are, it's that windows can't view the cd for me to even get the drivers.

What's even more frustrating is how proprietary mac is getting lately, I feel like they are getting greedier and greedier. I tried downloading an older version of boot camp to get the drivers directly from there, since it was in older versions to burn a driver cd or just directly import them over to the other partition, but the .dmg file that loads the installation which creates the older boot camp assistant just takes me into a loop to the .dmg file...

All I need are some simple drivers off the cd and it is so difficult!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I hope this does not cause any issues but I have to ask, is your Leopard DVD a Store Bought DVD? I have heard of this issue with people using a torrent downloaded Leopard DVD because the Windows Drivers part was missing. Not accusing you of anything but being sure. I can take my leopard DVD and put it in any PC in my house and it auto runs and the installer comes up for the drivers.

ditto

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Look mate. You are using an illegal copy of Leopard. How can you expect it to work right? And when it doesn't you blame Apple? Your friend might have made a crappy copy somehow, without burning the Windows drivers. Mac only discs are known to give those symptoms of 0KB in Windows.

As for bootcamp downloading, it is a leopard feature that was in BETA before it's official release, with Leopard. Now, assuming that you have Leopard, you should have no problems installing Windows via Bootcamp. Assuming that you have Leopard...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
After spending all those hours, makes spending the money for your own copy of Leopard begin to not look so bad, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.