Internet cafe software

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have search the forums, but unable to find anything. I am helping my brother, he is wanting to set up a internet cafe using several mac mini's, but I cannot find any software for the mac to control access, as per internet cafes.

I have been searching for a while but unable to find anything which would be able to use on the mac. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as he would dearly love to sick with apple.

Cheers

Crackers

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Crackers.

By internet café software, what do you mean? Care to elaborate?

I can see people going to an internet café to surf so Safari and Firefox can handle that.

They could use it to send emails so as long as people use a web-based email thingy, they can do that using the web browser.

Maybe print some webpages so I imagine that as long as all the Mac Minis are connected to a printer and that the printer's driver is installed on the server, it would do nicely.

As for chat apps, I think Adium can chat with Macs and Windoze but maybe other members can give you better suggestions.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for the warm welcome.

What we are after is software that that can control the time someone is on the internet.

example : I go into the cafe and purchase 1 hour on the internet. I m given a computer terminal to go to - a nice new mac mini with a 24 in Cinema display - I then happily enjoy the internet for my hour. After the hour is up the terminal locks out any access to the internet or applications.

I have used similar type of arrangements before at internet cafes, but they are all PC based.

I hope that makes it a bit clearer.

Cheers

Crackers

M

MacHeadCase

Ooh, ok. Like to know how much to charge them for their usage...

Hmm. Sorry I can't help you there.

I was thinking you might want to look at MacUpdate for Timer or something similar but that might not be sophisticated enough for your needs.

Maybe a script? I dunno...

Maybe someone else has a better idea. Good luck! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I'd do it at the router, not at the computer. Get a router with built-in software for that purpose, one that controls access.

On the computers, just set up a Guest account under Leopard. Use parental controls if necessary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD
I actually looked into this some time ago - there's honestly not much out there for OS X for whatever reason. Seems like an obvious niche, especially considering that OS X (or Linux for that matter) is the perfect platform for something like this (no virus worries, less maintenance, etc).

Removed useless link.

EDIT: I just looked at this (it was still in a bookmark folder) and it looks like OS X is no longer supported?! Oops. Sorry for getting your hopes up.

M

MacHeadCase

Digitalscrap, what were the search words you used to find the app you had bookmarked? I'd just be curious to have a go at this. :)

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi all,

It seem a shame that there appears as there is nothing out there. As you have said, they are a great platform and less maintenance.

But I will not give up.... never surrender.

M

MacHeadCase

Well technologist might be on to something. The router suggestion sounds mighty interesting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I suppose this may sound horrible to some, but how about just doing it the old fashioned way: have people plunk down some money for a certain amount of time and you brother or whoever is working there keep track and tell them to take a hike when time is up. (ok, maybe be a little more friendly, but you get the gist)

OP
C
Reaction score
Just a quick update, I have found an app that looks the bee's knee's.

iCafe

Made by a German crowd for the mac.

Looks like a start anyway.

M

MacHeadCase

Excellent stuff! Thanks for reporting back and helping others! Very cool of you, sir. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.