lost in internet woes! please help.

Reaction score
Ever since I purchased my macbook just over a year ago, I have had no problems until now. I recently was online watching some streaming video when the connection suddenly dropped and I could not reconnect to my Verizon DSL. Through some troubleshooting, the person at Verizon said the problem was my PCI Card. Does this make sense? If so, how do I fix this problem? The person at Verizon said I would need to reinstall drivers for the PCI card. I have looked for these. They are no where to be found for me : ( the trouble is my macbook will not communicate with the modem (so she said). BTW I am connecting Directly to the modem supplied by verizon. Also, my XBOX360 seems to be communicating with the modem fine. IDK what to do. Please help.

OP
I
Reaction score
P.S. I am on my Mac book right now and My wireless works. It seems to only be the direct line internet.

Reaction score
I'm not sure what they mean about it being a problem with your PCI card since the Macbook doesn't have a PCI slot. What's the model number/name of yout modem?

OP
I
Reaction score
something 6100. I have used it fine in the past. so idk what the problem is..... it has to be the ethernet port or something. where can I get new drivers for that?

Reaction score
Check the Verizon site. So does your internet work when connected using airport?

Reaction score
Is there any reason why you need to be plugged in to your modem if airport works? What connection is the modem to your Macbook the operator mentioned that you need to reinstall PCI drivers but the Macbook doesn't have a PCI slot.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
From your description - the cable/connection needs to be ruled out before anything else.
If the Verizon tech didn't have you do the following steps, check them out.

First, don't just check the connection, unplug the cable at both the router and your Mac and plug it back in making sure it is snug.

Next try a different cable that you know is working with another device.

OP
I
Reaction score
I know that the problem is in fact not the cable and is not the internet connection because the connection works for my Xbox 360. WHat would be my next step knowing that the problem does lie with my macbook? specifically my ethernet port.

*edit* My modem is a Westell model 6100.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.