Bitterly Disappointed with Apple Macs!!!!!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Im guessing so m8 but only because it states 'MEM' in report line.

Also I upgraded the RAM yesterday but it ran fine all night??

Im still ot the hardware test and when I view the memory section Bank 1 has '\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/' after it but nothing to say if this is good or bad. Bank 0 has no such markings after it.

Do you have the original RAM? If so put it back to factory stock and see and the issues should go away.

Same thing happened to me with my iMac G5 iSight. Worked a month in my case then started to show up.

OP
K
Reaction score
yes I still have the RAM m8. Oh what a dredded job changing the RAM back on a mac mini.

I cant get what the prob could be. Im guessing one stick is OK and one isnt?

Can a mac mini run with RAM in only one slot? Then ill try a stick at a time to find if one is ok.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
yes I still have the RAM m8. Oh what a dredded job changing the RAM back on a mac mini.

I cant get what the prob could be. Im guessing one stick is OK and one isnt?

Can a mac mini run with RAM in only one slot? Then ill try a stick at a time to find if one is ok.

I think it will run but on the Mini with Integrated graphics it's better to have a matched pair installed. I did not know you had a Mini. Been into the Intel one a couple of times and it's not the easiest thing but if it will solve the issue go for it. My mini has been dead stable for over a year. I just upgraded the RAM with 2 Hynix SoDimms and it's been dead stable for a month now.

Just one possible warning, when that happened to my iMac with the bad ram it did really mess up OSX. I had to do an Archive and Install. Yours maybe fine but just a warning in case. Reason mine got so corrupted is I kept using is as I had work to do and really messed things up! :D

OP
K
Reaction score
OK, ive got top off mac running with only 1 stick of ram in. Re testing. Ill update you in minutes.

I really appreciate all of the help

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think this thread has raised a number of "lessons learned", that can save one a lot of heartache.

1. When you have a problem with a device (any device), the first thing to ask yourself is "What changed?". If you've recently added or changed hardware, chances are good that the hardware is defective.

2. Quality memory is extremely important. Don't shop on price alone, make sure the memory is guaranteed to work in your machine and that the vendor is one that will be around to support any "lifetime" warranties they offer. This is why I recommend memory from Crucial.com.

3. Never reinstall the OS as a troubleshooting measure. Determine the source of the problem before proposing a solution.

At any rate, I'm glad you were able to isolate the issue - I would go back to the vendor that sold you the memory and seek replacements.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 8gig, inherited powerbook (beer+mac=power-brick)
Kola this is a community with people who want your machine to work as great as thiers. It is hard to find people that will take so much of thier free time to help a fellow computer user. Make sure to add rep to the people who helped out like nirvana dtravis and cwa. Hope your apple experience has smoother sailing.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
K
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I really cant understand this fasination with how many gren squares you all have but if it turns you on ill gladly add to each of you, its the least I can do.

However were not out of the woods yet or Im not shal I say.

Now when i try to entry the hardware test the disk keeps spiting out for no reason meaning no hardware test. Any ideas?

Jeeez, Ive been on with this since 1300. Its now 0315 here in the UK - Im so tired!!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is the case still off? I have never tried putting in a DVD with it open but it should work. Any fingerprints on the DVD?

I BET you are dead tired after all this! :D

OP
K
Reaction score
shattered m8. absolutely, and stressed to bits.

The plot thickens. The DVD will stay in my mac for ever if I boot it from MAC HD. It just spits it out if I try to boot anything from it.?????

EDIT - finger prints m8, you were right. Just awaiting test results

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
shattered m8. absolutely, and stressed to bits.

The plot thickens. The DVD will stay in my mac for ever if I boot it from MAC HD. It just spits it out if I try to boot anything from it.?????

Just one quick thought, when you put in the RAM did you seat the DVD drive assembly all the way down? In other words did it plug in all the way? I figured you did not put it all the way back together till you tested it.

OP
K
Reaction score
Ok now I get a new error code but the memory seems fine now.

4SNS/1/40000000: TAOP

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok now I get a new error code but the memory seems fine now.

4SNS/1/40000000: TAOP

Is it put back together correctly? That error seems to be saying overheating CPU which I have never seen on a Mini.

http://www.intelmactemp.com/profile/309

I would try it with both original sticks of RAM with it all screwed together and see what happens.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its all fitted back together but no screws etc. Dont know if you've worked on mini before but its a hassle taking apart and putting back together.
Not using screws until it works lol

I found this utility for checking RAM on macs if anyone in future ever needs it.
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24508

You probably missed my one post. I have taken many Minis apart and recently upgraded my Intel Mini. I know what a pain especially the Intel one is to take apart and change the ram.

Yes that is a very good RAM test utility.

OP
K
Reaction score
Just checking my 'good' stick of ram now to see if I need send both back or just the one.

I can believe something as trivial as a ram upgrade can cause all of this hassle.

I also cant believe how supportive this forum is. Anyone would think I was paying money

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All I can say is we try. There are some really smart and helpful people here.

Do keep us all posted.

I still would try both sticks that came with the Mini and see if all works properly.

OP
K
Reaction score
Original RAM now installed and everything seems fine.

Can I just say a few things....

1 - I will amend my first post as it shows the Mac in a very bad light when it seems as this was a RAM problem not a Mac problem.

2 - I cant thank enoughs the people who have helped me here. Ill gladly add a few green square to you all

3 - Mac-Forums is an excellent community. New Mac switchers (such as myself) look no further!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
you should return the ram that you installed if you purchased it recently

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.