Programs Unexpectedly Quitting!!! PLEASE HELP!

Reaction score
Okay, heres the scoop. I recently bought me a MacBook back in July. I am in love with the machine, but for some reason programs keep quitting on me unexpectedly. Sometimes it iPhoto, photobooth, iTunes. but primarily it is Safari.....and i tried using firefox to see if that would help, and it didnt. it is not a constant problem, it is intermittened. but once it starts acting up the only way to resolve the issue.....temporarily......is to restart the machine. and sometimes i have to force the restart because the screen just flashes blue real fast and then i am back at my desktop. i am getting very very very frustrated with this whole ordeal. i have been reading posts on this site for months now trying to resolve the issue, but it has been useless. i started basic, by deleting the plist from the programs that were acting up. no good. then i tried to delete the actual program and re-install it......no good. then i even went as far as doing an archive and install......no good. i finally decided to do a complete erase and install........no good. after the erase and install all i would do to my computer is put back about 6 gigs of music and a few hundred pics on two back up dvds i made, but the "geniuses" at the apple store assured me that probably wasnt the issue.

speaking of which.....i have taken my computer to the apple store to have it looked at about 3-4 times now. each time they tell me the issue is resolved......but its not. once they just told me to basically erase and install the OS, so i did....again, with no luck. then they checked it in and they wrote 0's to the comptuer trying to make it crash, but according to them came out fine. they tell me their tests say all hardware is in proper working condition. then last time i took it up there......again, they checked it back in and ran more tests on it, then replaced the HD hoping that was the problem....but it still didnt work. now i dont know what to do because they are running out of ideas and they problem still exists. the "genius" told me that now he thinks it is possibly some "environmental" issue that they arent responsible for. i dont know what to believe, but if it is environmental, what could it possibly be????? i read from other posts that my problem somewhat matches bad RAM, but the "genius" said they dont think that is it. would getting a new computer be the best bet or can this one be salvaged. and how would i get them to switch computers out if their tests keep coming back good. i cant reproduce the problem on demand and they cant reproduce it themselves. i am at my wits end with this whole situation, and i am begging for some help......PLEASE any advice would be appreciated.

here are my specs btw:

OS X 10.4.11

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
SMC Version: 1.17f0

Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
It's almost certainly a hardware issue, and my guess is it's something overheating from what you describe. Try installing iStat Pro and watch the CPU temperature. It should not really go above 60 degrees (centigrade) without the fans kicking in. If it does, take it to be looked at.

OP
B
Reaction score
i will try that and get back at you on the results.......i have noticed every once and awhile (no too often) that the comp seems to be running kind of hard. it picks up in noise and does seem to get pretty warm underneath. nothing too bad though i just thought it was normal. also, if it turns out to be the overheating, how will i know that it is "too hot" ?? how much over 60 degrees is too much??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i will try that and get back at you on the results.......i have noticed every once and awhile (no too often) that the comp seems to be running kind of hard. it picks up in noise and does seem to get pretty warm underneath. nothing too bad though i just thought it was normal. also, if it turns out to be the overheating, how will i know that it is "too hot" ?? how much over 60 degrees is too much??

Depends of the fans kick in, but 70 - 80 degrees is way too warm for normal operations and much beyond that might start causing issues.

OP
B
Reaction score
okay.....i just installed iStat. am i looking for the temp where it says CPU A????? i have been on the macbook now for roughly 20-30 mins and the CPU A temp has been about 61-63 degrees centigrade. the bottom of the unit is getting warmer too, but nothing out of the normal (so i think). about what temp should the fans kick in??? and also os there anything else i should keep my eye on with iStat opened up? for example the "fans" section, bc right now the exhaust is running around 2200-2300 rpm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a MacBook CD (not C2D) and my CPU A is 51 degrees, fan is 1498rpm

My usual temp is about 60 degrees and the fan stays low (around 1500rpm). Has it crashed or quit recently?

OP
B
Reaction score
whats a C2d?? and no, it hasnt recently, at least not since putting iStat on.....but that doesnt mean anything to me just yet. i was trying to wait and see what the temp was at the point of failure, but hasnt happened yet. which is good in a way, but not helping me to diagnose the unlying issue. the max temp that i saw was about 64 degrees and the average was probably about 58-61.

OP
B
Reaction score
addendum:

but that was with only about 1 hours worth of use. not that long compared to some sessions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
c2d is a short way of writing Core 2 Duo.

Reaction score
i have the same problem. it all started after i installed the software update that contains Safari 3.0. Safari is the only app that quits for me. does anyone know of a way to downgrade to safari 2.0? i feel that is the only way i can use safari again. thanks for help

OP
B
Reaction score
okay...........what would be a new guess Zoolook???? i was just playing around in garageband and itunes then it started to act up again by first crashing garageband then it would even let me in safari/firefox/iphoto/itunes. i checked the temp and it was running around 57-59 degrees and from what you said that isnt too hot. so please, what else do you think it could be. also, i was not at home this time.......i am at a local coffee shop on their wireless network, so if it's "environmental" like the "GENIUS" said at the apple store then what could it possibly be?!?!?!?! i am around nobody and nothing but empty tables. is there ANY possible way that it is the backup songs that i am reloading from the DVD after the erase and install??? because if not, then i am not doing anything at all or downloading any files that could corrupt my computer. is there any way after a few months still being under warranty and having bought the extended apple care that i can get a new computer????? i still like my macbook, i only wished that it was acting like it should, by living up to it's reputation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well it seems to happen with the system is under some kind of strain, so I still think Hardware.

Run the Hardware test - insert the system DVD, boot holding down the H button and run a test.

OP
B
Reaction score
oh man.......i wish it were that simple. unfortunately i have already done a hardware test with my cd, and so have the so called geniuses at Apple.....at least twice. and neither of us can figure it out. like i said before, they seem to think it is environmental, what, if anything can cause this outside of software and hardware malfunctions. like i said the ONLY thing i have done since i have had the computer back in my own hands after being serviced each time at apple was load my back up songs and pics back into iTUnes and iPhoto. can that be the source of my issue. i dont see how since even if i dont have itunes or iphoto open safari will still crash. but i dont know how or even if these are connected. any more ideas you can throw at me??? i am going to call the apple care phone line tomorrow, and see what they say, so please pray for me and my macbook!!!!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.