can't edit files

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a windows user who is switching over to mac. I am copying files over to my mac from a burned DVD-R and programs are not able to edit the files.

If I try to modify the files in finder it says it can't modify them and gives me an ok button and an Authenticate button.

How do I make these files editable?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Hit Command+i or right click the file. Either check whether the file is "Locked" (uncheck if it is). Or at the bottom there will be permissions. Just make it Read and write and you should be fine.

Also, to do this on multiple files, you select them, and then press Command+Option+i

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you! Worked perfectly.

Is there anyway to have mac copy the files from a DVD with read & write access by default?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Well, I don't usually copy files from CDs and such, so I'm not sure. I will however check it out and let you know. If however you are doing this as a routine thing, transferring files from PC to mac, then I'd suggest you zip the files, then burn, so that when you unzip on the mac, they will be with read/write.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.