Christmas present...iphone?questions...

Reaction score
my mom asked me if I wanted an iphone, but I told her not right now...

since the iphone doesn't have GPS, is this a big set back?
is GPS coming to the iphone soon? should I wait for the GPS phone?

i'm not really in a rush, i just hate to buy an iphone now, and 1-2 months later, apple has a better one...

thanks for taking the time to read...

Jack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 8gig, inherited powerbook (beer+mac=power-brick)
go to engadget.com they have an article on upcomming gps modules that will clip into the bottom.

please note that gps will drain your battery just as 3g if thats what your waiting for. the new iphone will have a hard time keeping its battery life up to par as its predisessor. just my .02

btw. gizmodo and engadget have lots of great information on iphone development as well as tuaw. check em out. i was planning on waiting but there are new features via firware updates around the corner I decided to gt mine now. (hope i helped a little)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Seriously? How many cell phones actually have GPS? Bet its not many. And since you can get online and check google maps a GPS is not really needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
google maps should suite anyone just fine unless you plan to go goat hiking. If you want a gps equipped closely matched phone get a helio or the N95 from nokia.

just try google maps on an iphone at your local cingular or apple store it gives you great turn by turn direction and distance calculations as well as time. not only that you can book mark friends addresses and pinpoint businesses so you can just look at google maps and see whats closer to your location. Its also simple.

Reaction score
Why not look at other phones other than the iPhone? I have an N95 and its a great device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the n95 is indeed a great platform. It is some of the iphones closest competition.
I dont have a bias towards either.
I got the iphone love it.
A friend got an n95 love his too.
It just all comes down to what you really need.

dont let everyone make a decision for you. remember this is mac-forums not a smartphone forum so people are most likely to be biased( i didnt say all) towards the iphone. do research on tech sites as i mentioned above they all have lots of information to help you out. B.T.W. engadget has a great mobile rundown.

Reaction score
Exactly every mobile user has completely different needs. I needed a phone which would make a good 3G modem and i also like to see how many miles i do a day which is where GPS came in.
Look at what you want from a phone for alot of people things like GPS are just a gimmick.
If your heart is set on an iPhone have a demo of one and try it out. I think it is safe to say that the 3G iPhone won't be released in the next two months so if you like the iPhone personally i would get it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sure nirvana agrees the best advice is decide for yourself when it comes to high dollar purchases.

Reaction score
Yer definitely, when you are having to splash out alot of cash and being tied to a contract it has to be your personal choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
If a GPS is needed, I think the new Blackberrys have them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro 3.06Ghz 7200RPM 500gb
The blackberry 8310 is nice and the GPS works great. I had one of them for a while. Now I have the new N95-3 (US 3g compatible) and I love it as well. Really blows the iphone out of the park completely IMO. It has GPS, and wifi, and they both run really well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Google has built the pseudo-GPS cell antenna tower triangulation capability into their mobile maps app so you can locate yourself. It's not as accurate as GPS, but it will get your location within a few block if you are hopelessly lost.

The down side is for some reason nobody knows, they haven't built it into the iPhone app (probably because it would delude an upcoming iPhone's GPS capability). Hopefully if my beliefs on the matter aren't true, they will build it into the iPhone app soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Google has built the pseudo-GPS cell antenna tower triangulation capability into their mobile maps app so you can locate yourself. It's not as accurate as GPS, but it will get your location within a few block if you are hopelessly lost.

The down side is for some reason nobody knows, they haven't built it into the iPhone app (probably because it would delude an upcoming iPhone's GPS capability). Hopefully if my beliefs on the matter aren't true, they will build it into the iPhone app soon.

Woot! I really hope your wrong on that with-holding theory.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.