(First time Mac User) MacBook Pro 4gb of Ram

Reaction score
First time Mac User!! I just recently purchased a 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo 17" MacBook Pro with 2 Gb of ram. My question is...i am going to be running a lot of 3d Visualization Software and I wanted to upgrade my Ram from 2gb to 4gb.

My question is... is the 2gb of ram in my laptop two 1gb sticks? if so do i need to purchase (2) 2gb of ram sticks to make it 4gb??

thanks!
Aliveamongdead

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
go to the applications--> utilities --> system profiler then click on memory. It will tell you how many sticks you have and if you have any open bays.

With that being said I believe Mac Pros come with two 1 gb sticks. So you will have to get two 2 gb sticks to get up to a total of 4gb

If you decide to go up to 4 gb i would recommend that you get your new memory from a third party and not apple as it much much cheaper. I personally use crucial.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
OP
Aliveamongdead
Reaction score
Sanity1082- I checked and it says that i have (2) 1 gb sticks of ram.

So I think that I am going to go with your recommendation NPuter. Memory from apple is outrageous and newegg always seems to have good deals! thanks for you help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 8gig, inherited powerbook (beer+mac=power-brick)
dont forget you can sell old ram :D

Reaction score
hi folks,
my pro 17" ships tomorrow with 2GB of memory. as a new apple convert, I have just started looking over this forum, and have gleaned so much info., and here is another.

there was no way I was going to pay $700:Shouting: for an extra 2GB of memory from apple. I just ordered 4GB from crucial for a fantastic price...wow.....thanks for the info. everyone.

this forum makes it easy for us new mac users to avoid pitfalls, and get it right the first time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 8gig, inherited powerbook (beer+mac=power-brick)
can you suggest a site where me/we can sell our old ram too?
I would have no use for 2 extra 1gb sticks

The almighty ebay my padawan.

actually i dont know id sell it to a friend or maybe you can include it in your sig. and someone can p.m. you if they are interested. :D

OP
Aliveamongdead
Reaction score
If i install 4gb of RAM will it void the warranty?? if so do i just need to hang onto my 2gb in case i have to send it in for repair???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" white macbook. 2 GHz Core 2 Duo. 160GB. 2GB memory, and giving leapord a second chance.
from what ive picked up over time...

macbooks... you can upgrade the HD and ram, all good.

MBP's.. you can only do the ram. supposedly the HD's are really tucked in there, and will void warranty when replacing the HD.

search.. its been covered.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.