MacBook Pro won't boot up????

Reaction score
Hello!

My MacBook Pro (which I have NEVER had any problems with) won't boot up. When I turn it on it stays on the screen with the apple and the little rotating thing under it.

What happened was, I was doing the general software update. While it was downloading I was on the internet and had a couple more programs up (i.e. Thunderbird Mail). The page I was going to on the internet was marriott.com and while it was loading I decided I would empty the trash on the computer. When I did that it wouldn't empty, just ran and sat there. so then the software updated needed the computer to restart. I closed out of all the programs but the trash emptying and I couldn't get it to quit (at the time I didn't think about Force Quit) and I clicked to restart and it wouldn't since the trash emptying wouldn't stop so I turned it off with the power button. When I turned it back on it just went to the apple screen and wouldn't do anything. I tried this a couple more times and then tried to reboot with the the disc that came with it. I didn't know what to push so I hoped it would detect the disc in there but alas it didn't and now I can't get the disc out of the drive! I've got an appointment at the Apple Store this evening to see if they can help but I thought I'd try here too. I guess what I need to know is this...

1. Does anyone know how to get my computer back up and running?
2. How do I get the disc out of the dvd drive?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
1) Boot from the Leopard/Tiger disk by popping it and pressing C during bootup. Then run disk utility and "Repair disk permissions" and "Repair Disk"

2) Hold down the mouse button during bootup to pop the disk out.

3) To make sure that the system logs out the proper way, just go to the Activity Monitor, and force quit this process "logui" (or something very similar to that word). Never fails to log you out...

M

MacHeadCase

*Moved thread to proper forum - Not a hardware but OS/software problem*

We can never repeat this enough: while doing Software Updates stop using your Macs so everyone can avoid mistakes like these. Let the install run its course, then you can use it.

OP
M
Reaction score
*Moved thread to proper forum - Not a hardware but OS/software problem*

Thank you. Wasn't sure where it should go.

We can never repeat this enough: while doing Software Updates stop using your Macs so everyone can avoid mistakes like these. Let the install run its course, then you can use it.

Thanks for this too. I had no idea you couldn't (or shouldn't) do that!

You guys are great!!

M

MacHeadCase

No problem, MacGirl47. (Welcome to Mac-Forums, btw.) :)

Because you see when you are trying to delete something in the trash, the action asks the system to perform one task as does the software install: yes, OS X is multitasking but what probably happened was that the system was bogged down with the install and the various verifications it does upon install and emptying the trash would have happened eventually but it would have taken a much much longer time than usual.

Not to mention that you are installing data on the hard drive while asking to delete some other data on the same hard drive. Note that when you delete something from your hard drive, it doesn't erase the data right away, it just says to the System that the space used by the data you just deleted can be overwritten on the hard drive.

Doing a force quit and a forced shut down halted everything including optimization of the system and now there is perhaps some corruption in the data.

It's not that you can't do that but more making sure you give your Mac all the chances to use a healthy system. So the easiest most secure way is just to let operations run their course then use the Mac to your heart's content.

OP
M
Reaction score
Should it be an easy fix? I'm at work and my Mac is at home so I can't try what goobimama said to try at the moment, so I am just going to take it to the Apple Store near me anyway just so I don't screw it up again. Will it be difficult for them to fix and will I lose anything on my Mac?

M

MacHeadCase

Just try what goobi suggests and report back.

If it doesn't work (not saying it won't) we'll see what needs to be done and what else you try.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well I tried what you guys said and I couldn't get it to work. I did get the disc out though! So I took it to the Apple store last night and they fixed it by rebooting and reconfiguring using their emergency hard drives. They said it was easier than trying it with the CD. But its fixed now thank goodness!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.