WEP password.. WIRELESS PROBLEMS

Reaction score
well..i am the guy that has had the yellow light..well..now i have a green light with my airport but when i get the the part where is asks me for a WEP password. i dont know what it is..i have never heard of it.. i have tried every password i know. is that going to be a big problem? my computer finds the apple network but that is as far as it goes.

please help

Reaction score
The WEP password has to do with your wireless router. It has nothing to do with any of your client Mac's passwords. Do you have admin control of the router? If so, you should be able to find the security settings for it.
If not, I would suggest resetting the thing and first connect with no security encryption.
:eek:
Then, when you can connect to the net, go back and set up the router with WPA encryption, not WEP.

OP
R
Reaction score
i just took it to the shop to see what to do..they guy sent it back saying he reset it. before this i was getting a flashing yellow light. so i guess he didnt totally reset it.. in any case.how do i reset it and connect with no security encryption?

Reaction score
What router is it? They mostly all have a reset button, but some have to be powered on/off, the button has to be pressed for a certain length of time, it has to accessed in admin mode within a certain length of time, etc.

OP
R
Reaction score
airport express. i have pressed the pin button on it before..when it was flashing yellow. got nothing. i took it to the store he said he reset it..i plugged it in and got a green light. i was happy. before the airport utility could not find the basestation. or any basestation for that matter. now it still wont work

OP
R
Reaction score
well.. yes...there is another wireless router ihave been using because my airport doesnt work..but whenever i have tried to get work my airport to work it has always be unplugged. my last post may have been misleading.. my computer does find wireless networks..but non that i can use except for the one that i am using currently..but also finds the apple network when i plug in my airport..but i get the WEP password that i dont know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
First, access your existing wireless router and note the settings - DHCP, IP Range, how it connects to the Internet, etc.

Second, connect via Ethernet cable to the airport and set those settings to be the same.

Third, disconnect the existing router/Access point, and power it down.

Fourth, connect the Airport to the broadband modem, and see what happens.

Good luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.