USB/FW Audio Interface or Multirack Mixer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I've found my lost love for audio engineering recently and want to rebuild my home studio.I want to record on my Mac, however my iBook doesn't even have the 1/8" audio-in jack, so I have to get an audio interface obviously I know.. I'm sick of using my Windows box with CakeWalk, as amazing as that program is, I don't have the time to relearn it again. Lately I've had this huge creative rush and I wrote a whole bunch of acoustic songs that I want to put on a cd and release.

The thing is.. I'm going to be getting either a PowerBook G4 or MacBook Pro sometime in the near future so I will have the audio-in jack..

Now, I've used mixers before, and have recorded, and have done sound in the past. I used to record my band's demos, and do the sound at our shows several years back.

Now, I was looking at this mixer, the Tapco Mix.120, because it's cheap and has lots of channels.

Then again I was just thinking of purchasing the Line6 TonePort UX2 as well.

I have speakers and the like so that's not an issue. What do you guys think I should do? I don't want to spend more than $200 on the mixer/interface, so that's why I chose those two units.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.