Making Mac Run faster again

Reaction score
Hello,
I've posted before and it was recommended that I look at Activity Manager.

1. I can manually close some random processes now, but how do I make it so they do not turn on automatically? ex: my printer has a processor running, my camera ( external ) has a program running etc etc

2. And secondly, what is ROOT user? According to my manager, there are a ton of root user processes that are inactive, but taking up memory.

According to its findings RIGHT now..
Wired : 163 MB
Active : 144 MB
Inactive : 185 MB
Used : 489 MB
Free : 22 MB
3. I'm trying to learn, and must say that I don't know that much yet, but isn't 22mb free.... kinda... bad?

I've thought about reformatting back to nothing, would this be at end all of cures?

THANKS!
Tsuke
EDIT : Spelling

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
From your description, you have 512 MB memory installed. While this may not be the solution you are looking for, you will benefit GREATLY from installing another 512 MB, perhaps even buying 2 GB sticks for a total of 2 GB. 512 MB is enough to make the computer run for the most mundane of tasks anymore. If you want snappy speed while you're at it, you need some more memory.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Unfortunately, have to agree with snoslicer. Upgrading your memory would be the best route.

Starting over from scratch would only help until you reinstalled your printer, camera, and other apps to the machine. Memory is cheap compared to the time it would take keeping your system totally clean of all extraneous processes.

Don't know where you are located, but 1GB sticks for $25 and 2GB kits for $50 are pretty common now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.