draglib setdragimage could not be found

A

artemis

Hi,

We have an Imac sat in our office that hasn't been used for about 2 years (because we are all PC users) but when we tried to log in recently it gave us this error message.

The finder could not start up because the following system library could not be found:

draglib--setdragimage

to start up use the CD or floppy disks that came with your computer.

it then gives us two otions restart or cancel which takes us back to the login screen.

Unfortunately we dont have the disks that came with the computer.

Does anybody know how I can fix this without the CD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
From the "Apple's" mouth…

Disable extensions during startup

1. Turn the computer on (or click Restart if the alert box is still on the screen).

2. Press on hold the shift key.
This disables extensions and control panels.

3. Open the computer's hard disk.

4. Open the System Folder.

5. Open the Extensions folder.

6. Find these files (one or both may be present):
Macintosh Drag and Drop
DragLib

7. Drag these files to the Trash.

8. Choose Restart from the Special menu.

Some earlier software installers may install these extensions, which result in this error. Mac OS 9.1 ignores these extensions if they are installed, and does not produce this alert box and error message.

OP
S

sctintl

cannot find hard drive

Hi, I just got a imac OS 8.6 that has had very little usage, I'm getting the draglib - setdragimage warning, and I tried to follow your instructions, but I cannot find the hard drive. Thanks for your consideration.
David Eidler
P.S. I paid $40 dollars for it.

immdb said:
From the "Apple's" mouth…

Disable extensions during startup

1. Turn the computer on (or click Restart if the alert box is still on the screen).

2. Press on hold the shift key.
This disables extensions and control panels.

3. Open the computer's hard disk.

4. Open the System Folder.

5. Open the Extensions folder.

6. Find these files (one or both may be present):
Macintosh Drag and Drop
DragLib

7. Drag these files to the Trash.

8. Choose Restart from the Special menu.

Some earlier software installers may install these extensions, which result in this error. Mac OS 9.1 ignores these extensions if they are installed, and does not produce this alert box and error message.

Reaction score
Thanks for the great help

I got this draglib-setdragimage notice when I opened my old (6100/66) mac yesterday. We keep this old mac as a backup to our G4 and because it still works great, but I only power it up about once a month or two. I was at a complete loss till I Googled setdragimage and found your reply. I am so thankful for the complete instructions on this fix. I trashed those files and it works great. Thanks again.

Reaction score
@ immdb

Even after all these years your post is still on the net, you were able to help me!!

I did also have this same problem with my old Power Macintosh 5600/250 of the year 1997. But your solution solved my problems and i'm so happy!!

Thanks!:Blushing:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.