I think I deleted something important! My Admin Acct isn't showing up!!

Reaction score
I'm scared! I was deleting stuff like a dumb little noob and I think I deleted something important cuz when I restarted my computer my main Admin Account doesn't show up! I can still go into the other two guest accounts I created, but my main one is GONE. How the heck do I restore it/get it back???? Have I lost all my existing files??? I have a powermac g4 that is running leopard..... I'm freaking out here....

oh and I was deleting applications and I went in to the library and deleted stuff out of the cache folder, to be perfectly honest I don't remember EVERYTHING I deleted

AND YES I know I shouldn't have gone all "delete-happy" in my library folder.... I know.....

My bro is trying to help me out, he's better at this stuff then me......

when I told him I went into the Cache folder and deleted stuff he looked in it and asked if I had deleted any .log files....... I honestly can't remember, so it's a possibility.

Aside from this.... when I try and use my reinstall disk from one of the other accounts (my moms) it asks for the administrators name and password which is the account that is missing, so if and when I type it in and says that the name and password are invalid...... so I can't even do a reinstall and "archive and install"............ Is there ANYWAY to go back and recover all my files that were saved on my main account..... my music, pictures and resume are by far my most important things on there, if I can save those I have no problem wiping out my whole computer and starting from scratch.........

SO if I CAN Save those files, someone tell me who to resetup an admin account, if I'm even able to...... cuz currently all I have are two guest accounts with no privileges to go in and do admin things..... please tell me I can do SOMETHING!?!?!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Did you by any chance rename your Home folder (Mac HD > Users > yourhomefolder)? It is the one that contains the "documents" "Movies" and other such folders.

As for deleting applications, never touch anything other than the app file in your applications folder. It's stupid to go into the library deleting stuff.

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks harryb, but this isn't about my account changing to a standard one, it's completely missing........ yes I am running leopard, but it was working fine for the last few weeks up until I went delete-happy today...... also, when I went to restart the computer it asked me if I wanted to FileVault everything, which of course I did, so I have a feeling that may have something to do with it also, maybe. not sure....... I'm just praying that my files and stuff aren't gone permanently...... I have SO much purchased music and SO many pictures from the last two years that a good chunk of my life woukl be missing if I can't recover this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Okay.

Go to spotlight and enter Firevault and up should come all your accounts etc as they appear in Systems Preference or elsewhere.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.