Ideas for Upgrades

Reaction score
I just got a Power Mac G4 and was wonder what some suggestions for some upgrades that wouldn't be super expensive.

CPU: PowerPC G4 400 MHz
RAM: 768 MB
Drive: 30 GB

Thats all the information on the machine that I have right now since I haven't recieved it yet. Any ideas would be more than welcome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Rule one:- all upgrades are expensive.

Perhaps maxing out the RAM to 2GB, an 80GB HDD with 8MB cache, and if you wish to use Leopard, an OWC/Sonnet CPU upgrade. 1GHz start at about US$170.00.

Then maybe an updated graphics card, depending on the display you are using. The list goes on and on - a superdrive to burn CD's and DVD's, all
brands are dirt cheap at the moment.

Perhaps a USB 2.0 PCI card later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
A new HD would be nice. Currently, you can only install HD's up to 128GB. You could buy a PCI IDE card and put any size drive in there. A USB 2.0 PCI would be helpful as well. Maxing out the RAM is a plus. A 18x SuperDrive would be sweet. And a processor upgrade over 867MHz will get it running Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Rule one:- all upgrades are expensive.

Perhaps maxing out the RAM to 2GB, an 80GB HDD with 8MB cache, and if you wish to use Leopard, an OWC/Sonnet CPU upgrade. 1GHz start at about US$170.00.

Then maybe an updated graphics card, depending on the display you are using. The list goes on and on - a superdrive to burn CD's and DVD's, all
brands are dirt cheap at the moment.

Perhaps a USB 2.0 PCI card later.

If you did all of that, you'd probably have spent enough to buy a brand new Mini.

I'd suggest you stay with (or get a copy of) Tiger and maybe add some memory if you can find some for a reasonable price. Beyond that, save up for a new(er) Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
I've got a G4 and against all advice have upgraded it quite a bit. Why though I am not sure :) Just for fun. Hard drives aren't too expensive and you can almost always transfer them to another computer later.400 MHZ isn't exactly fast but it will do the job unless you want to upgrade. I manage with a 533. Definitely a new Disc Drive.I have to agree with bryphotoguy about USB 2.0. There's also case mods which some like and some abhor. Cathode lighting effects and clear case G4 mods. I have tweeked my case quite a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And who would want to drive a Mac Mini?

Not I for one lol.

Reaction score
i bought a mdd dual 867 off ebay for $340,,,upgraded with a 9800 pro,, added 512mg of ram that gave me a total of 1.5gb...i am very satisfied with my purchase, and this rig if pretty fast... i had folks tell me to get a mac mini, glad i didn,t.... the 9800 pro is probably a lot faster than what is in a mac mini.

2 months ago, i began my life in the mac work, basically no knowledge and bought a couple rigs i should not have..the first was a 500mhz g3, SLOW, then a quicksilver 800mhz...somewhat better than the g3,, but not happy with it....got me the mdd dual 867, what a difference, night and day difference if you ask me. that extra cpu and cache makes a world of a difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
i bought a mdd dual 867 off ebay for $340,,,upgraded with a 9800 pro,, added 512mg of ram that gave me a total of 1.5gb...i am very satisfied with my purchase, and this rig if pretty fast... i had folks tell me to get a mac mini, glad i didn,t.... the 9800 pro is probably a lot faster than what is in a mac mini.

2 months ago, i began my life in the mac work, basically no knowledge and bought a couple rigs i should not have..the first was a 500mhz g3, SLOW, then a quicksilver 800mhz...somewhat better than the g3,, but not happy with it....got me the mdd dual 867, what a difference, night and day difference if you ask me. that extra cpu and cache makes a world of a difference.

I dunno how much the 9800 Pro would help out.
I had a Dual 1GHz with similar specs but had the 9000 Pro installed. It was super slow compared to a first generation Intel iMac I owned at the same time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I just got a Power Mac G4 and was wonder what some suggestions for some upgrades that wouldn't be super expensive.

CPU: PowerPC G4 400 MHz
RAM: 768 MB
Drive: 30 GB

Thats all the information on the machine that I have right now since I haven't recieved it yet. Any ideas would be more than welcome!

Look HERE. I bought from them when I upgraded my old G4 Sawtooth. In some cases you can upgrade the CPU for less than $300.

Reaction score
I am in a smiliar boat as you are,
I don't really see myself buying a mac mini, i think i could do better with my Dual 533 for less.
Mine currently has
Dual 533mhz
896 ram
40GB hd
USB 2.0 card.

Im buying a cheap samsung dvd burner off geeks.com for $19.99 plus shipping, it will fit me for what i need to do with it (burn home movies to dvd), and buying 2 more 512sticks for $49.99 each from the same store baggss stated, 160GB Hitachi hard drive for $55.99 (although only 128 will be seen unless i buy the $15 thing they have...)
And i spent $15 on the USB card at wal-mart.

I don't have very much options on CPU upgrades since they are WAY to expensive, which would be more than a mac mini. Too much for me. I don't really feel i need it anyway, this is blazing fast as it is and i haven't even done anything to it yet.

I'm not upgrading my graphics, i don't play games or do anything demanding like that.

Good Luck!

Reaction score
Less than 24 hours later.......
Scratch what said up there.
I'm getting a refurb mini.
lol.
They are only about $500 (a little less for a core duo.)

YOu could do the same thing,
or not, you're call obviously.

Upgrading the CPU would be cheaper for you than for me because for me the dual upgrades are WAY more expensive.
So you might not spend as much upgrading as i would.

Personal pref. really.

I would just shop around for what you want, add it all up, then ask yourself if it makes sense.
If you answer no, ask yourself if you still want to do it.
If you want to upgrade, even if it is more expensive than buying a mini (i'm not saying it will though, well, notsaying it wont either), than do it.

Good Luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.