Can iPhone show 4:3 movies?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I converted an old 4:3 movie I have to .mp4 using Handbrake like I usually do and tried to load it onto my iPhone, but it won't load because it "cannot be played by iPhone". This isn't the best explanation to help me understand the problem.

Is it possibly because it's 4:3 aspect ratio? That would really suck because there's a lot of old movies I like that are 4:3.

Reaction score
No it's not. There must be something else it doesn't like about it because I have plenty of 4:3 videos on the iPhone.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only thing I did differently when converting that movie was set an arbitrary file size limit instead of using one of the presets (iPhone/iPod preset). Do you have to use the preset in order to make a file useable by iPhone? I would think anything that would import into iTunes would work on the iPhone, but I guess not since that movie didn't.

Reaction score
iTunes can play many different files that ipods/iphone cannot. Setting a file size limit is rolling the dice since it's unknown if the bitrate will stay under the iphone ceiling or not.

Reaction score
use any well functioning converters to iphone and make sure they do convert the 4:3 movies then you absolutely can watch a 4:3 movies on iphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Just use ffmpegX. It's fast, great quality, free, and has presets for iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The only thing I did differently when converting that movie was set an arbitrary file size limit instead of using one of the presets (iPhone/iPod preset). Do you have to use the preset in order to make a file useable by iPhone? I would think anything that would import into iTunes would work on the iPhone, but I guess not since that movie didn't.

What was that "arbitrary" file size?

I'd say try it aging with the preset and see what happens. There have been some issues with the presets for the iPhone too.

If you list exactly what settings you used, I may be able to help or at least get you a strait answer.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I was converting movies with Handbrake using the iPhone preset, they were coming in at 800-900 MB in size. I wanted to try to cut that down so I could fit more movies on my iPhone. So after choosing the iPhone preset, I choose to manually set the size limit to 500MB. I noticed the only thing that changed was the bitrate went from 960 to 616, so maybe that's the issue.

I'm not good with all these format tweaks, so I didn't realize changing that would affect its playability. If anyone knows of a way to lower the file size and still make it playable on the iPhone, I would appreciate the info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Can you take a screen shot of your setting just before encoding?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.