what mac should I buy? i want to run protools l.e.

Reaction score
Hello,

I need to know what computer I should get if i want to be able to run protools (mbox or mbox2) LE.

It is either going to be a mac or a macbook pro.

I would like to stay with the macbook if possible for pricing.
I just want to know if I can get away with just using a macbook.
I have been told that I will need to buy extra ram. some people say 4 gigs some say 2. Also macbooks come with 2.0 ghz and offer a 2.2ghz omputer as well. What's the difference when it comes to recording.

From what I understand my friend was able to record a nice sounding album with a macbook and 2 gigs of ram. he said it was slow at times when he used rewverb but was able to get around it by bussing reverb out instead of using it on every track.

I understand recording, I just want to be able to make some solid recordings but have no idea what to get.

Anyone use a macbook with 2 gigs and love it? hate it?
Should I really get the extra ram? Should I get the macbook with 2.2 ghz?

Also,
I know that macs are now being istalled with leopard and digidesign does not work yet with that. I will take care of that problem later. I just want to know what I should get.

Thanks,

Michael Rockstar

Reaction score
Well the processing power difference between the MB and MBP isn't large. Obviously if you need to run graphics intensive programs then you would most probably need the MBP with its dedicated graphics.
Get the best system you can get with your budget this saves hassle later on. If you do get a MB don't use Apple to supply the extra RAM they are extremely expensive get the 1GB then buy extra RAM from the web for a fraction of the price. The process of installing the RAM is pretty simple and does not void the warrantee.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Macbook Pro has an Optical audio input, if that matters.
MBP has a discreet graphics card for better graphics performance
MBP has larger screen for multi track display. It can also power a 30" monitor.

However, have you considered the iMac? It is almost the same as the MBP in terms of performance (sometimes even better due to its faster hard drive). It's large display will surely be a joy to work with.

That being said, the Macbook is certainly not a slow machine. With adequate RAM it will be able to run music creation apps just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
My 16+ month old macbook with 2.0Ghz processor and 2Gb ram runs Logic Pro fine. Im sure a macbook will be comfortable running pro tools le :)

~~ TS ~~

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for all theinput. So..... If i buy a macbook with 2 gigs of ram. I should be able to run pro tools?
What if i am using 16 tracks and two plug ins on each track?

Has anyone used this exact set up?

www.michaelrockstar.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
If i compare logic to pro-tools, my macbook comfortably runs 12~ Tracks with 4 or 5 plugins per channel... Im sure it should be fine ^_^

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.0ghz santa rosa
I just got my macbook (2.0Ghz) in november when they upgraded. I upgraded the RAM to 2gb myself. I planned on getting a mbp to run audio and use the macbook for school and travel but Logic is running so good on the macbook I think I will hold off the mbp for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4/4/320/Leopard, 12" PowerBook G4 1.5/1.25/80/Tiger
Macbook Pro has an Optical audio input, if that matters.

So does the MacBook, according to the tech specs (although I never used optical in on mine).

Either way, much recording/mixing hardware now has USB or Firewire for computer interfacing anyway.

--Chris

Reaction score
I just got a 2.2 ghz macbook, and its running protools fine on 1 gb. it might choke a little after 6 tracks with multiple plugins, but with 2gb you should be safe. I have 4gb coming in the mail though, so its gonna be blazing soon for me ;-).

Big upgrade from a 1.5 ghz with 512 mb. that was a nightmare.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.