OS Panther on Rev B ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
Hi Guys / Gals ,

I have already upgraded my iMac with 256 RAM and an 80GB HD. I am now considering buying Panther and putting it on my Rev B .

Is it advisable / worthwhile to do this ?

Would Panther run decently on my Bondi Baby ?

If i install Panther do i have to move OS 9.2.2 from the first 8GB partition ( as i assume this is where Panther would go ) ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Paul

B

Badger

Hi Paul, I just did a service call on a rev A running 10.2.6 and 9.2.2 with 160 RAM and 6 VRAM. It still had the original 4 gb hard drive. It seemed to function well with the only noticable drawbacks being the limited VRAM and the two systems taking a lot of space. In fact, there is only about 750 mgs left on the disk. It would certainly benefit from a new (and faster) HD and more memory but it seemed pretty solid as it was.
Here's a link to a clear (and sucessful) Panther install on a Bondi machine: http://macnightowl.com/newsletters/2004/01/216.htm
If you go to Panther you have to have both systems in the first 8 gb partition if you want to be able to boot from both. If you move OS 9 to the second partition you'll be able to run in classic but not able to boot in OS 9.
Badger

OP
pphking
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
Thanks for the info Badger .

I have an 80GB HD so space is not a problem .

Thanks for your help
Paul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.