how do you get links to open in tabs w/o holding apple key?

Reaction score
Why can't links in safari just open in tabs like firefox? I have tried every setting. Is this how it's supposed to be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
Safari>Preferences>General

Very bottom "Open links from applications"
Click the bubble "in a new tab.."

Is this what you are looking for?

OP
W
Reaction score
No. I have that on and it works great. I just want to be able to click a link on a webpage and have it open in a new tab instead of a new window. In firefox, it works fine. With safari (3.0.4), it makes me hold down the apple key to open webpage links in a new tab. Can't I just click a webpage link and have it open in a new tab without holding down another key?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Besides the Apple (Command) key and clicking, there is also Right click and hit open in new tab and Control Click (Which is the same as Right Click. Otherwise STOCK there is no way.

There is an plug in for Safari called SAFT though that will allow you to do exactly what you are after. If you have Leopard 10.5 be SURE to get the new version of SAFT.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20346

It's $12 if you like it but it makes Safari do a lot.

Reaction score
If you have a 3 button mouse (the scroll wheel is the third button), clicking the middle button should open in a new tab.

M

MacHeadCase

Besides the Apple (Command) key and clicking, there is also Right click and hit open in new tab and Control Click (Which is the same as Right Click. Otherwise STOCK there is no way.

There is an plug in for Safari called SAFT though that will allow you to do exactly what you are after. If you have Leopard 10.5 be SURE to get the new version of SAFT.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20346

It's $12 if you like it but it makes Safari do a lot.

And what a plugin it is! If you accidentally close a tab, you just hit Command + Z and the tab reopens in the same state as it was before it was closed: and that works no matter how many tabs you have inadvertently closed. Pretty nifty, I could not do without Saft anymore.

Sometimes it feels like Safari is a Saft plugin, not the other way around! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I use SafarStand which is free and does many of the things Saft does. I love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD
If you accidentally close a tab, you just hit Command + Z and the tab reopens in the same state as it was before it was closed: and that works no matter how many tabs you have inadvertently closed.

The same thing goes for Firefox, but you have to hit command-shift-T. Just thought I'd let everyone know...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I use SafarStand which is free and does many of the things Saft does. I love it.
I'm having trouble installing it. I put it in the spot where it told me to, but I can't see to get it to work...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.