Obeject stuck in headphone Jack

Reaction score
I recently had part of an audio cable snap off and get stuck in my headphone jack on my macbook pro. Its stuck in there pretty far and I can't get it out. My internal speakers won't work now because they think something is plugged into the headphone jack.

If anyone can help me and let me know what my best course of action is let me know. Also I live pretty far from an apple store to get them to help so if possible I would like to get this problem taken care of by myself. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
Try fishing it out with a VERY skinny pair of medical needle nose hemostats.

Aside from that, taking it in for service is the only other thing i can think of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
Try fishing it out with a VERY skinny pair of medical needle nose hemostats.

Aside from that, taking it in for service is the only other thing i can think of.

Exactly what I was about to type.

I just took a look at my MBP headphone jack and I've never seen a pair of pliers that are that small. I don't know too many people who have "VERY skinny pair of medical needle nose hemostats" just lying around, lol ;D.

How far away is your apple store?

OP
J
Reaction score
Apple store is about hour and a half to two hours away, and where can i find a needle that small?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
how about cutting the ends off a cotton swab, so you just have the 'tube' left.
then putting some super glue one of the ends and sticking it in there so it attaches to the 'foreign piece' , then rip it out

But it is completely up to you whether or not you use my method
I don't even know whether I would do this to my computer

It sounds like you can't do much more damage that has already been done

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
then putting some super glue one of the ends and sticking it in there so it attaches to the 'foreign piece' , then rip it out

But it is completely up to you whether or not you use my method
I don't even know whether I would do this to my computer

It sounds like you can't do much more damage that has already been done

That would have been my suggestion as well, although I'd recommend a toothpick instead of a cotton swab. I've used the same method to extract broken off keys inside of door locks. It usually works very well, although you'll need to hold that toothpick perfectly still and only use a dot of superglue small enough to make contact with the broken end and not the inner walls of the jack.

Good luck!

Reaction score

Ingenious :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
id be real careful sticking in any sort of glue into that slot.

if your comfy with taking the keyboard off, and several screws, i believe the headphone port has holes/slots on it? if i remember right, then you just need a small screwdriver or something to push it out.

Reaction score
Audio Jack Repair

Believe it or not I took my Macbook Pro to Genius Bar and was informed that to rectify the issue of removing the tip of an audio jack from the port would require the replacement of the logic board. Cost $£400.

Second under breath option "you didn't hear this from me" was "glue a nail to the the offending intruder and pull it out."

NEWSFLASH !!!

Metal doesn't stick well to metal with anytype of glue.

So here is the fix and it is akin to playing that old game of operation with the metal bits and the guy with the red flashy nose.

You will need

1 Drill
1 teeny weeny drill bit
1 Toothpick
1 Tube of Superglue
1 Set of neurosurgeons hands

1. Place your laptop standing up so it supports itself and you can see straight down into the port. Ensure you have good lighting.

2. Slowly and I mean Slowly, insert the drill bit into port ensuring that it is completely centered within the port and is firmly pushed up against the offending piece of metal.

3. Slowly drill little by little until there is an indentation in the offending jack. Sometimes the drill bit may bite enough to stay in if you disattach the drill.

If this happens you may be able to pull the jack out and avoid using Glue !

4. If this doesnt happen take a toothpick and before inserting it in the port drip superglue liberally over the pointed end and 1/3 of the way up the toothpick. Slowl and sitting within the centre of the port insert the toothpick into the jack until you feel the wood bite into the metal. Leave the toothpick for at least 30 minutes after which time the extra glue you had applied to the upper part of the toothpick has slowly dripped down and fused with the jack.

5.Pull the toothpick slowly and firmly.

6. Good Luck.

Toothpick with offending jack attached.jpg

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had this problem. The end of my headphone jack was stuck in the input. I dealt with it for about a month until I decided that enough was enough.

I took the original jack (the piece which was missing its end) and put just a bit of super glue on the end of it. I stuck that into the input and let it set for maybe 2 minutes. Then I carefully and slowly pulled it and voila! The jack came out in one complete piece.

Note that I tried the toothpick idea mentioned above and it didn't work for me. I think using the original jack was more effective because it adheres more completely to the end of the jack than the toothpick, which is much smaller than the jack.

Good luck!

Reaction score
A similar problem

This seems like the right thread to post.

A few days ago I spilled some water on my iPhone 4. Not too much, but I hastily put it in the bag of rice I keep just for this purpose. It's fine now. The problem is that a piece of rice inadvertently got into the headphone jack, and I didn't know about it, so the next morning when I groggily moved to put my headphones in, I ended up squishing rice paste all over the inside of my headphone jack. I tried for a bit to fish some out using a toothpick, but the damage had already been done by my headphones. Today the rice is hard and stuck at the bottom, as well as some residue along the sides. It's a very sticky situation, and I would like my headphone jack back without having to pay apple.

I'm considering trying to use some alcohol as a solvent, as it shouldn't damage the phone, but if there are other solvents for rice out there I'd love to hear.

Any advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
This seems like the right thread to post.

A few days ago I spilled some water on my iPhone 4. Not too much, but I hastily put it in the bag of rice I keep just for this purpose. It's fine now. The problem is that a piece of rice inadvertently got into the headphone jack, and I didn't know about it, so the next morning when I groggily moved to put my headphones in, I ended up squishing rice paste all over the inside of my headphone jack. I tried for a bit to fish some out using a toothpick, but the damage had already been done by my headphones. Today the rice is hard and stuck at the bottom, as well as some residue along the sides. It's a very sticky situation, and I would like my headphone jack back without having to pay apple.

I'm considering trying to use some alcohol as a solvent, as it shouldn't damage the phone, but if there are other solvents for rice out there I'd love to hear.

Any advice?

Try taking a tooth pick and gently stabbing the rice till you break it into a smaller piece allowing it to come out.

Good luck!

-Kyle

Reaction score
broken bit in headphone jack

stabbed a safety pin into the craptastic end piece & it slipped out of the jack without glue, dudes! MacBook3,1 2.2GHz 4GB OS X 10.5.8 Safari 5.0.6

Reaction score
safety pin + nvram reset

stabbed a safety pin into the craptastic end piece & it slipped out of the jack without glue, dudes! MacBook3,1 2.2GHz 4GB OS X 10.5.8 Safari 5.0.6

Thank you! I had tried with a toothpick and paperclip but they were too big. I flipped my computer sideways and shined my phone's flashlight into the headphone jack to find what looked like a wad of paper. Sure enough, using a safety pin to break up the condensed paper (I had tried hammering my headphones into my computer, don't try that) helped me get it out in about 15 minutes (the safety pin is pretty flimsy and may not work for more solid objects). Next, I did a NVRAM reset as the volume wasn't quite yet working (Internal Speakers would not show up as an option); when my computer started back up, I just had to unmute it and voila –– it works again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Even though this is a zombie thread (11 years old), it's always good to hear about success. Now like the doctor said..... never stick anything in your ear smaller than your elbow, the same goes for the headphone jack. It's for headphones only! LOL. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.