Need help connecting Macbook to DLink router

SST

Reaction score
We just bought a MacBook Pro. Cool machine, I really like it.

But we are having problems getting it connected to our wireless network. We didn't have the network secured yet (just got the wireless router last week, a DLink DIR-655), yet the Mac only gave options to connect to a WEP secured network and insisted on a password or key, even though I hadn't set it up yet.

So, I decided to set up WEP 64 bit to appease it, but I couldn't even get my Dell laptop online after I did that. I then got on the phone with DLink, who had me change some settings around. Then they made me call AT&T b/c my modem wasn't bridged.

Got that done, and called DLink back and still couldn't get the WEP to work. So we fiddled around with that for about 30 minutes and FINALLY got my Dell laptop back online.

So then we tried the Mac again, but still nothing. Then we decided to try WEP 128 bit hex, since there was no option for 64 bit for the mac. But that didn't work either.

Anyway, after switching back to the 64 bit, the desktop and my old Dell laptop are up again, but we still can't get the mac online. We got to the point where we could choose the network and input the password, but it says the password is wrong - even though I know it's not. Oh, and we also tried putting a $ in front of the password, b/c both the DLink and the Bellsouth tech support guys said you have to add a $ to the password for mac. But it didn't work either way.

We tried to get the mac online with an ethernet cable connected to the router, but that doesn't work either. It keeps asking for the ISP account user name and password, but it shouldn't need it since it's just connected to a port on the router, it's not connected directly to the modem. And anyway, it still won't connect when I give it that info.

We were finally able to get it connected by hooking it straight to the modem. But obviously this is not a solution.

Cliff notes:

Macbook will successfully connect to the internet when directly wired to my Westell Modem, but not when wired to my DIR-655 router, nor will it connect to my wireless network through that router.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

OP
S

SST

Reaction score
Ok, in case anyone wants to know, apparently the solution to my problem was not to buy a DLink router. I got a Netgear router this evening. It's up and running, connecting wirelessly to the macbook & dell laptop, and hardwired to the desktop with no problems

Reaction score
I bought a D-Link router DIR-655 and I hooked it up to my clone windows desktop and using the airport feature on my MacBook Pro, I was able to get nice signal. The problem I had was hooking up my Lexmark E120 printer to the network. So thinking that the router was the problem, I bought the airport extreme router and to my suprise, after alot of fiddling, that the problem wasn t the router. The problem was with the wrong selection I made with the printer drivers. After I discoverd the solution everything was up and running. So I have a spare D link router as a backup. So please... don t throw out your D link router.
CHEO

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sorry, had not seen the original posting.

Use the D-Link DIR-655 with no issues here. Bought it after I couldn't get a Linksys to connect and had their tech support tell me Linksys routers don't work with Mac's.

Did not use the wizard. Went thru the manual wireless settings from my MBP. Never tried WEP. Set it up as WPA2 from the beginning. Have used both n and g connections. Set the router up from my MBP, so was able to copy and paste the WPA2 password into the MBP settings. Also, have my printer connected to the router for all the PC's in the house - total of 5, incl'g a MB & a MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I just got a DIR-655 today to replace my 3 year old linksys-g router

I had a linksys wireless range expander so I would be able to connect to the network from my bedroom - when that finally died I thought it was time to upgrade..

now I have my new router hooked up, but, I can't connect in my bedroom...
I actually don't notice a gain in range over my 3-year old linksys wireless g...
The router is not really located well (in a bookshelf) but it is the only place it can be
I am thinking I am going to have to get an external high-gain antenna to boost my range....

I am really upset after spending $150 for something that actually works worse than what I had before.

EDIT: A little off topic, but, what can the usb port on the router do... Can I network a usb printer or hdd like on the airport extreme?

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
cool... just got it fixed!!
Here is what I ended up doing...

Westell modem set to bridged mode and connected to my OLD router
My two office computers and a CAT5 cable, that runs into my laundry room in the middle of the house, connected to the OLD router
NEW D-Link DIR-655 connected to the other end of the CAT5 in the laundry room...
I now have wireless all over the house
Horray!!!

The D-Link DIR-655 is an amazing router

OP
S

SST

Reaction score
**sigh**

Unfortunately none of the experiences above relate to what we were dealing with. Thanks for the replies though. They may help me in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry...
well I do not know what they were talking about when they said you need to put a $ in front of the key...
I use WPA2 to secure my network w/o any dollar signs and it works fine

EDIT: I am sure you have already tried this but.... did you try completely resetting the router

Reaction score
Sorry, had not seen the original posting.

Use the D-Link DIR-655 with no issues here. Bought it after I couldn't get a Linksys to connect and had their tech support tell me Linksys routers don't work with Mac's.

Did not use the wizard. Went thru the manual wireless settings from my MBP. Never tried WEP. Set it up as WPA2 from the beginning. Have used both n and g connections. Set the router up from my MBP, so was able to copy and paste the WPA2 password into the MBP settings. Also, have my printer connected to the router for all the PC's in the house - total of 5, incl'g a MB & a MBP.

I'm new with this wireless thing. Why didn't you use the wizard to install? Basically, if I want to install it. I have to plug the DIR-655 then use my MBP to scan and go to the Airport Utility to setup? or Do I have to plug the cable to my MBP? sorry for too many questions. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm new to the forum and very new to Mac. Just moved to the Mac world with the 2.4 Ghz Macbook Aluminium. I've been having great difficulty in getting an HP PSC 1210 printer to operate wirelessly through my D-Link DIR-628 router. The Macbook itself has no trouble connecting. D-link said they don't have Mac support. That ticked me off. Anyway, I have the printer conected to the USB port on the Router. The PC has no trouble connecting to it. It's Cat 5e hardwired to it by the way. I have a program called SharePort from D-link for the purpose of using something like a printer connected to the Router. SharePort is not Mac compatible. This is a required program to be on all computers that access anything connected to the USB port of the Router. So far I know of no way to make this connection and was wondering if any of you have had a similar expierience?

Thanks

Reaction score
d-link's shareport currently does not support mac os, I received an email from d-link today stating the utility is being developed and should be available soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel (unibody), 2 GB RAM; iPhone 3Gs
i found i needed windows to do the initial setup of my dlink adsl modem+router because the router login box wouldn't load on my mac. now, after the initial setup on windows, i can access my router wirelessly on my mac. you just need windows for the initial setup.

Reaction score
a way to connect my mac book to the d link route

dear all,

i just found a way to connect my mac book to the d link router.

system preference> network> advanced> TCP/IP>

choose using DHCP, then choose "Off" for the Configure IPv6.

good luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.