iChat problem

Reaction score
Hello there,
I have 2 macs in my house, an Intel Imac 20inches with Tiger, and a macbook (intel 2Ghz 1 Gb ram, leopard, ilife 08 etc).
Initially Ichat on macbook, that uses mostly a wireless connection to my network, (netgear router) worked fantastically.
In the last couple of weeks Ichat is not able to start a video chat, it attempts to but keeps on giving me error messages such as No data was received or did not respond or insufficient bandwidth. Ichat works fantastically still on my Imac.

Is anybody experiencing same problem?

:Grimmace:
Mirco

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
I have been with my windows buddies, but not with anyone else, I don't think it's a problem with your Mac I think it's a problem with the comp. on the other side

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
i had this problem with two macs in the house trying to connect to eachother!

one was 10.5, other was 10.4. Never figured it out. Havent seen the problem since coming back from vacation.

Sucky too, i was trying to demonstrate Ichat to family, and wouldnt you know it, "unable to connect".

i wonder if it had anything to do with the two computers being on the "same" IP address maybe, since we were both on the same wireless connection.

OP
M
Reaction score
it's very funny that Ichat worked very well at the beginning on leopard and on my macboook but not it doesn not allow me to connect at all to my brother macbook (.mac account) in italy. Ichat workd perfectly again on my imac connected via ethernet. it seems like a problem with the wireless connection.

any ideas as to what the issue could be?

OP
M
Reaction score
I have downloaded Leopard cache cleaner and purchased a license for it. I have carried out all the possible operations to try and restore leopard to it's initial state of grace. I thought that the fact of having installed logic studio on it and then uninstalling it could have caused the issue with Ichat.
The latest error i received last night from Ichat (connection doctor) was related to sound problems at the other end and the fact that something was expected to be something else and there was no reply for more than 10 seconds (which is not true).
I have not tested Ichat again since cleaning tha caches and running unix commands.
I will be testing it again tonight and let you know. At the same time I have reset my netgear router to default settings and My isp was down for hours last night, so probalby that would have had something to do with this problem.

In the meantime my Ichat on Tiger (Intel Imac connected via ethernet still works perfectly)

I will test and let you know the new results.

In the meantime if someone finds a new solution to this problem please post results.

Cheers

and

Merry XMas

Mirco

OP
M
Reaction score
Ichat problems; video/audio chat won't start; macbook leopard

I have released all the possible ports on my netgear router, all connections are opened on mac firewall. I attempted an automatic firmware upgrade on router but no upgrade is available. I reset router to original defaults and then forwarded all the possible ports for ichat with relative machine ip address.
Still Ichat over wireless connection on intel macbook, leopard, will not allow me any video or audio chat. I have skype also installed on machine and it works fine although the sound quality and the video quality is very poor.
What can I do to solve this problem?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.