new hard drive transfer

Reaction score
i have a powermac g4 digital audio with two internal hard drives, theres also a connection for a third hard drive inside, my question is, one of my hard drives hs been making a noise for a long and im thinking of getting a new hard drive. can i plug a new hard drive into the third slot and use carbon copy cloner to transfer all the data from the bad hard drive to the new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
the third connector - does it lead to the internal dvd?

you can hook it up but if its does not appear - even if set as slave, then unhook the internal dvd leaving that drive the only one on that chain (you may have to leave the door open while doing this)

I assume you are not on leopard - anyway carbon copy or superduper will clone the old noisy drive - then you can take out the old one - swap in the new and away you go

OP
H
Reaction score
im on tiger 10.4.11. thats what i was hoping. if i cant use the third hard drive connection then im guessing that i could remove the second hard drive and use its connections.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I have used the third connector myself - but had to disconnect the DVD drive

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.