Macbook dead ... how do i get CD OUT?

Reaction score
Yesterday, i made a really grave mistake. I dropped my Macbook from the surface of my desk onto the floor. :Oops: Sigh. I quickly picked it up and opened it, and it worked ok. Or at least until i tried to open up a few apps. :Angry: They seemed buggy (loading slow, freezing), so I decided to restart the thing.

My macbook now isn't loading up. It doesn't go anywhere past the boot screen. So i put in the Install CD and ran the disk utility, hoping to repair my drive. Although it found the drive, (and showed that it is halfway full, which is correct), it gave me an error and couldn't repair it.

Now the CD is stuck inside the macbook and it's still isn't loading. I'm using a spare Windows machine (feel my pain why don't you?). Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
I believe if you hold the trackpad button down whilst switching on it ejects the cd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro - 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 128MB 8600M GT
hold down right click as it boots. i believe it is ctrl+click. that or plug in a USB mouse and hold down the right click.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Its not right click, start your computer holding down the trackpad mouse button. (i.e. left click on a standard mouse)

OP
T
Reaction score
This board kicks so much it's not even funny. Thank you guys.

Ps any way i can get past my boot screen? lol

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This board kicks so much it's not even funny. Thank you guys.

Ps any way i can get past my boot screen? lol

It really sounds like the fall killed the Hard Drive. How old is your Macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83 C2D, 1GB, 60GB, CD
I hate to say this, but it sounds like you may need to replace the hard drive. Since the MacBook fell off the table, Apple will most likely not cover the hard drive. But then again, I have never used the Apple warranty, so I could be mistaken. It never hurts to call and explain the situation. Worse case scenario is you are out some money. If you're lucky and the tech has some Christmas spirit, he might have it replaced by warranty service - but don't count on that.

Just my two cents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
sounds like HD is broken. Since you dropped it, you should pay for a new one, and not ask apple to "fix it". not really their problem if it is the HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
You can try putting in the restore DVD again, run Disk Utility from inside the installer, and look at the SMART status of the hard drive...see if it gives you a failure notice. That will point you at whether or not it should be replaced.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.