Confused about G4 iMac maximum RAM??

Reaction score
I've been tire-kicking, possibly looking for an iMac.

I can't really afford, nor do I really need the capabilities of one of the newer Intel iMacs.

So I've been pricing used G4's and G5's. Honestly, a G4 with a 1.25 would probably serve my needs, but I'm confused about the amount of RAM it would take.

The Apple site says the G4 iMacs only support 1GB of memory. But lowendmac.com and other internet sources suggest it can take up to 2GB..

is this correct? And if so, how does this work?

I'm a complete noob when it comes to iMacs, so I'd be curious if a G4 will hold 2GB of RAM, and how that works. Don't they onlyhave one slot for adding RAM?

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Its most likely that there were no 1gig dimms when apple shipped the G4 Imac

So the max back then was 1 gig, now you can get 1 gig dimms its 2 slots give you 2 gig of Ram.

OP
J
Reaction score
Oh... So there are 2 dimm slots? I thought the G4's only had one...

That makes sense if they have two slots.

OP
J
Reaction score
It looks like there is a DIMM slot and a SO-DIMM slot... one is factory, and one is user accessable.

Does this mean the iMac comes with a factory installed RAM card, and is it removable? The sites above don't seem to make this very clear.

Why would they make one of the slots "non user accessible" if the ram card can still be swapped?

Sorry for the ignorant questions!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.