Safe to see shared computers?

Reaction score
I was wondering if I *borrow* someones free internet, which I do when I'm at work sometimes. Is there a way to kill seeing the shared computers? I'm pretty sure all my file sharing options are off but I want to be safe. If there is somehow a way for someone to get thru, will I be aware of it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
a program called little snitch will warn you if something is trying to communicate out

as for incomming traffic, turn on the macs firewall.¬

 System Preferences > Sharing (firewall tab) also in advanced check the stealth mode option

While you are there check out services - make sure personal sharing and Windows sharing are off (off by default)

that's it - none can get on your mac - its a very secure system

OP
B
Reaction score
a program called little snitch will warn you if something is trying to communicate out

as for incomming traffic, turn on the macs firewall.¬

 System Preferences > Sharing (firewall tab) also in advanced check the stealth mode option

While you are there check out services - make sure personal sharing and Windows sharing are off (off by default)

that's it - none can get on your mac - its a very secure system

Thanks but I don't see the firewall tab or the stealth mode option. Actually I can't find personal sharing either, I'm running Macbook Pro on Leopard, I'm probably just blind.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.