Some appz like Trillian Astra etc

Reaction score
Hey there, well im switcher i bought MacBook and i really need help with some. I cant figure out which program i should use for Trillian and mIRC. I tried Adium and Fire for Trillian but Adium is not so good for me, seems better Fire for me but i have all of my contacts offline ;[ I would like to use Trillian Astra (alfa version) its also for mac but i cant found that.

Also i have problem with playing divx, xvid movie on my quick time. I downloaded some stuff for that and put into library folder but is dosnt work. I would like to use subtitles. So guys, can you help me please?

Thanks in advance!

-dOhi-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
For movies. Go to www.perian.org, and install it. Will play everything.

As for trillian, I think you are stuck with Adium as of yet. Trillian is coming to the mac, but it's not here yet...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook / Mac Mini
Perian works fine here, but if you don't need to access your movies through Frontrow, I would also check out VLC, it's a great player you can use instead of QT.

As for IRC, Colloquy looks pretty good, but I prefer Xchat Aqua.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What exactly did you do? All you have to do is double click the Perian.prefpane that comes along in the DMG. Also, delete any other QT components you might have added in the MacHD > Library > Quicktime folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hey there, well im switcher i bought MacBook and i really need help with some. I cant figure out which program i should use for Trillian and mIRC. I tried Adium and Fire for Trillian but Adium is not so good for me, seems better Fire for me but i have all of my contacts offline ;[ I would like to use Trillian Astra (alfa version) its also for mac but i cant found that.

Trillian is under alpha testing now for OS X... but the alpha testing isn't just open to just anyone. You can apply to join the testing program here:
http://www.trillian.im/signup.html

Other than that, Adium is about the best there is. There's one called Proteus that at one time was more capable than Adium, but its development has been stalled for some time and currently isn't compatible with Intel Macs. Reading over their website, it seems they are trying to get the ball rolling for an open-source release and update. YOu may want to keep an eye on that also.

OP
dOhi
Reaction score
What exactly did you do? All you have to do is double click the Perian.prefpane that comes along in the DMG. Also, delete any other QT components you might have added in the MacHD > Library > Quicktime folder

Now it works properly, thanks man!

to Goobi: i dont know man, the program upset me becouse i cant see the names of my contacts just only numbers and that sucks :(
The other one is bad for me, becouse i have intel mac... And Fire all of my contacts are still "offline". Anyone have some idea what to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You mean adium whizzes you off? I don't know what you are talking about showing contacts as numbers. From where I sit, it looks pretty fine to me...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I take it these are ICQ members that show up as numbers? If you Right Click (Control+Click) on the each one and click Get Info. You can put in their name and it will show in the list. Hope this is what you mean. This is in Adium.

Fire is no longer supported.

Also in Adium, in the tool bar up top click View then Contact Name Format. You can change the way it displays the name there.

Picture 1.jpg

Picture 2.jpg

Picture 3.jpg

OP
dOhi
Reaction score
You mean adium whizzes you off? I don't know what you are talking about showing contacts as numbers. From where I sit, it looks pretty fine to me...

i mean that in Trillin i have something like that i see nicknames of my contactas but in Adium i dont see nicknames but only their icq numbers. For example in Trillian on my PC i see online my friend just callled him "John" but in Adidum i dont see him like "John" but like 123456.. (his icq numbers).. i hope you catch it now :)

And in Fire i also have my contacnts just like numbers but every contacts seems offline when they are online :(it means that from some reasons Fire cant show status properly...

Thanks man and im sorry for my English :)

btw one more quastion, how can i back up my dvd movie to MacBook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can anyone else confirm this? Is it true that the ICQ contacts show up as numbers? Can't you force rename them?

As for DVD movie, if it is a copy-protected movie, I can't help you. If it's not, just go to disk utility, select the disk in the sidebar, and click New Image.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Can anyone else confirm this? Is it true that the ICQ contacts show up as numbers? Can't you force rename them?

I'll have to wait till I get home tonight and look at some menu options, but I do know with certainty that my ICQ contacts show as a name, not a number. Maybe there's a menu option to toggle it... not sure.... but I certainly didn't have to manually rename anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
as for the xvid, why not just download divx ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why not just download Perian and be done with it? It works just fine, plays many more formats than divx, and it's free (divx is free till christmas is it?)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

As for DVD movie, if it is a copy-protected movie, I can't help you. If it's not, just go to disk utility, select the disk in the sidebar, and click New Image.

I posted how to show them as names and put the name for the ones that do not but no one even replied. I even posted that ICQ shows as numbers.

Read my post a few back from this one.

OP
dOhi
Reaction score
Hey guys, well im done. Adium is solved. I had to put nicknames into "get info" manually. Probably it was due to some contacts was saved in official client and these contact i saw like nicknames, and some was saved in Trillian (another icq client) and these i didnt.

i will try others programs haha

Thank you guys. I appreciate it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" Unibody White
Why not just download Perian and be done with it? It works just fine, plays many more formats than divx, and it's free (divx is free till christmas is it?)

DivX is free, they do have a premium package, but the basic DivX is free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.