Restoring a disk to one volume?

Reaction score
When I was installing Leopard, I decided to create a separate partition for it, since I still wanted to use Tiger at the time. Now I've decided that I no longer wish to use Tiger, and I was wondering how I would be able to restore my hard drive to one volume (i.e. delete the Tiger partition) with Leopard's Disk Utility. I backed up all of my personal stuff from Tiger and scrapped the installation, but I remain stuck with two partitions. A small one with Leopard, and a separate volume that is just labeled as "Free Space" now. I apologize if this is a rather basic question, but I'm not very familiar with stuff like this.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
i would also like to know how to delete a partition using disk util...
I have a 'free space' partition taking up 1.5GB of my hdd

Also, my disk utility 'graphical partition table' is really messed up
Here take a look....
and then when i drag my Macintosh HD partition to fill up the free space, everything gets distorted

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Have you got a time machine back-up of your disk?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I don't know of a way to restore to a single partition with Disk Utility. I think you would need a third party utility like iPartition to do so without losing existing data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
can you back up to an external using time machine

run leopard install again and do a disk format and fresh install.

You can then use Leopards migration assistant to restore your set up from the TM back-up

OP
S
Reaction score
can you back up to an external using time machine

run leopard install again and do a disk format and fresh install.

You can then use Leopards migration assistant to restore your set up from the TM back-up

Thanks, I think I'll just do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
Did you try using "diskutil resizeVolume" command. This will change the partition non-destructively.

First go to disk utility and delete windows partition. Once you do that you might get an option to drag the leopard partition straight away till the end making it full partition. If that doesn't work, once you have deleted the windows partition, open Terminal and fire following command:

diskutil list

It will list all the partitions with the disk identifiers. If you have successfully deleted windows partition from disk utility, you would see only one entry for leopard with the current size of the partition (not the full size of disk). Note the disk label (something like disk0s1 etc). Now fire below command.

sudo diskutil resizeVolume <disklabel> <full size of the disk>

This should restore it back to the single volume. let me know the results.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.