Macbook Pro Damaged Logic Board - Case Related?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.33 C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD
The post that follows is about issues concerning a macbook pro, but the overarching idea could apply to any laptop.

My macbook pro locked up one day, and when I restarted it, it wouldn't get past the grey apple screen, and the little wheel wasn't present.

To make a long story short, I took it to an apple service center, who looked at it and said the logic board was dead. It was still under warranty, so they replaced the logic board. Afterwards, he said it might have died because of the speck products see thru hard case i had on, although he wasn't sure. He also said damage like this might void my warranty, since there was a third party accessory on the mac at the time of damage.

I've had the speck case on since day one. ~6 months of ownership now. I wasn't using the macbook pro at the time, and had been gone for half the day and returned to find it locked up.

I always have my macbook pro on an additional stand, like this one. I think that gives it good airflow, but maybe not...

http://common.csnstores.com/common/products/TAR/TAR1170_a.jpg

Considering I see so many people putting their notebooks directly onto tables and beds...

If heat did damage the macbook pro, I would be wary of putting a case on it. As much as I hate a scratched up mac, a dead one is worse to me.

Thought I should post this and let people know that it is a POSSIBILITY that cases like this could cause damage. I haven't found any other examples in which this has happened, but...

I've left the bottom of the case off the mac after getting it back, and it does seem to be a lot cooler. I can place my hand on the space between the num keys and the screen now without fear of burning myself...

-ST-

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.