G4 processor upgrade ? (newbie)

I

iownslaves

Hi y'all

I just recieved a G4(Sawtooth AGP) the other day and my roommate just upgraded his G4 (Quicksilver). I was wondering if his processor can fit into my Sawtooth? Is there a way to mod the Quicksilver chip to fit it into the Sawtooth?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2
It should just fit right on. They have the same CPU connector.

OP
I

iownslaves

He has a
Sonnet Beige G4-1GHz ZIF Processor and OEM Apple PowerMac Quicksilver G4 DUAL 800MHz Processor

in his closet. will both of these work in my sawtooth ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
Both of those should fit nicely on to the CPU connectors since the Dual CPUS are put on one daughter card. A daughter card is the card that fits into your CPU Connector. I find it a whole lot eaiser than the Windows way with ZIF(Zero Insertion Force) Method.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
If you really have a "Sawtooth"(AGP graphics), the ZIF will not fit. ZIF CPUs only work for "Yikes!" models (G4 PCI graphics). The Quicksilver CPU board should fit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.