playing .avi on mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 24" duo core. ipod iphone
hello all what do you use to play avi's on your mac. i have a new i mac 2.4 i cannot get avi's to play i have tried everything any help would be great! thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You need to download the codecs needed to play those files. Download Perian and VLC media player. Perian is a codec pack that comes with several types of codecs. With it, you should be able to play the vast majority of video files within Quicktime. Use VLC for those times Quicktime doesn't work (or if you like it better, then just stick with VLC)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
i would second getting both divX and VLC
divX is just a great movie file app, and VLC can play almost any type of file there is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
there's also a program called flip 4 Mac that allows you to play and wmv content in quicktime

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Perian all the way. It allows you to play via Frontrow..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" white macbook. 2 GHz Core 2 Duo. 160GB. 2GB memory, and giving leapord a second chance.
flip 4 mac was one of the 1st app's i downloaded on my mac!

Reaction score
From my experience, VLC plays every movie file I throw at it, and if it didnt play it, I would use iSquint to change the format to something VLC can recognize. Even the infamous WMV3 could be converted and watched on VLC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.