mail and .mac mail...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Ok.... i send and receive email through Mail... but when i email someone it saves in my Mail Sent folder (which i prefer) however it's ALSO saving on my .mac sent mail folder which I DON'T want.... I got an over quota notification and had to go in and delete those sent emails off of .mac website. Is there a way to prevent that from happening?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
I'm not sure I quite understand. When you're looking at your Mail App side-bar, it shows you the General Sent folder. When you click on the arrow, it shows you all of your accounts Sent folders.
Picture1-11.png

They are all the same folders. The Mail Sent folder shows you all. Just because you see it in both the General Sent Mail folder and the .Mac Sent Mail folder, doesn't mean it's saved twice.

Is your .Mac set up as an IMAP account?

OP
MACyMouse
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well that's where I'm confused....
I can't take a screen shot because the function got disabled with SnapzPro and that expired so it's not letting me use my typical commands...

Anyway...

I have
MAILBOXES
Inbox
.Mac
NPG (isp)
Sent
Trash
Junk

ON MY MAC
SAVE
RSS
Apple
CSS
Mac Forums
UFOdBase

.MAC
SAVE

So I send email through my .mac account... NPG I don't use... So my sent folder under Inbox is my usual mail that I send.. but then I got the alert symbol next to my .mac (under inbox and under the .MAC section) saying I was close to being over quota. So I went online and sure enough ... all the email I sent are on the .mac web email...... I deleted them and I'm fine now. And the email in my Mail sent folder are still there.

I don't understand the IMAP thing...

OP
MACyMouse
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok... got a snap shot...

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
IMAP is a type of account you can create. I would say if there are messages that you've sent, and really want to keep, create a new folder on your Mac for them and then just drag them down there. That way, you'll be able to keep them, and also create room for additional newer messages.

Also, if you click on the account under "Inbox" (In your case, your .Mac), and use Cmd-I, it will show you your Account Information. (i.e. Quota Limits, Mailbox Behaviors, Subscription List, and a Summary.) Using this info, you can see where you're using the most space.

OP
MACyMouse
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not that I want to keep them.... I'll weed through and delete them after a while but if they're going into my .mac account on the webserver, that's where the problem is... out of sight/out of mind type thing til I realize... Ohhh I gotta go there and delete those as well..... didn't think I would have to do that.

They're getting saved in "sent mail" twice... in my Mail and on the webserver of Apple.

OP
MACyMouse
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahhh fixed it! With the Command-I I did mailbox behaviour and UNchecked Store sent messages on the server..... :D

Fixed!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perfect! Hope I helped!

OP
MACyMouse
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cmd-I..... without that I wouldn't have found the preferences.

so........ yep! you did... :D

Reaction score
mail problem/posting problem

i am sending this to this post because i cannot figure out how to start a new thread. sorry am a windows person. i have set up mailboxes in the on my mac folder or whatever the site is called. i can move stuff there but i cannot get to the boxes independently to read what is in them. help please.:*

OP
MACyMouse
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i am sending this to this post because i cannot figure out how to start a new thread. sorry am a windows person. i have set up mailboxes in the on my mac folder or whatever the site is called. i can move stuff there but i cannot get to the boxes independently to read what is in them. help please.:*

I don't think I'm following what you're asking... are you trying to use your .mac account? Or are you trying to set up your ISP email?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.