OSX.5 DHCP Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83 gHz, 2Gb RAM, OSX.5
I have a late '06 Macbook with two week old Leopard on it. I was recently experiencing problems with my Linksys WRT54G router which wasn't connecting either my wired PC or wireless Macbook to the internet. I solved that problem by buying a WRT150N router about a week ago. Unfortunately, I've been having issues connecting to my network, the main problem is that the Macbook is getting a self obtained ip address. I tried remedying this by opening a specific ip address for my Macbook to connect to, but it still just randomly disconnects. It also gets a self obtained ip address when I turn it on after it has been off for long periods of time.
Can anyone help me with this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I don't get it. Are you saying that your Mac is getting a random IP from your router (i.e. DHCP) or is it that your Mac is picking its own IP despite you setting it manually?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have it set automatically, and when i either turn on my mac or even just randomly it has a 196.ect ip address.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have it set automatically, and when i either turn on my mac or even just randomly it has a 196.ect ip address.

That's called an Automatically Assigned Private IP Address. That's what happens when you have a computer set to DHCP and it can't get a DHCP address from the server/router.

It's probably due to the fact that you have encryption/security configured on your router, but the Mac isn't set to connect to it correctly. What kind of security have you configured on the router?

As a side note, I wish you wouldn't have given up so quickly on the WRT54G - probably would have had an easier time troubleshooting that as I have one.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I have it set to WPA personal, and I'm pretty sure that I have the Macbook set to connect to the WPA key.

Side note to your side note:
I still have the WRT54G, but I replaced it due to the fact that neither wireless nor wired devices could connect to the internet through it. Also because it is at least 4 years old.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try setting the router to WPA2/AES (if available, it should be). Then, delete the existing connection from System Preferences => Network => AirPort => Advanced => AirPort tab. Then try reconnecting from the AirPort icon in the menu bar. It should automatically detect the connection type as WPA2/Personal and work.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did what you said, but after reconnecting to the new security, it got a self assigned ip and i had to restart my mac (which is basically the only solution apple says to do).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did what you said, but after reconnecting to the new security, it got a self assigned ip and i had to restart my mac (which is basically the only solution apple says to do).

What happens when you connect it directly to the router using an Ethernet cable?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can connect to the internet using a router, which indicates that the problem is with the wireless. On the other hand, i have an xbox 360 connected via wireless, and it can connect with no problem, even when the macbook can't.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can connect to the internet using a router, which indicates that the problem is with the wireless. On the other hand, i have an xbox 360 connected via wireless, and it can connect with no problem, even when the macbook can't.

The router and wireless access point are one device, correct?

You're not using MAC filtering, are you?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They are one device.
I do not have MAC filtering on, but if i do turn it on, the Macbook and gaming adaptor would be in the "permitted devices" section.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They are one device.
I do not have MAC filtering on, but if i do turn it on, the Macbook and gaming adaptor would be in the "permitted devices" section.

Bear with me here as I'm trying to make sense of this. I will probably ask you some more questions, and they are not meant to be patronizing, just need to paint a better picture of what's going on.

Have you tried turning off security altogether and connecting to it? (for troubleshooting purposes only)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll go with you and turn off my security from now until about 8 or 9 and see if i have any problems.

I'll reply here when I turn it back on.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I actually have one more comment.
Before installing Leopard, I was considering a wireless n router. I also knew that my Mac couldn't connect to wireless n networks (knew by looking at the en1 settings in Network Utility) so I needed the enabler. However, after I upgraded to Leopard and when I looked in Network Utility, it said that I could connect to n networks.
I then asked some fellow mac users, and one said that the enabler was included in Leopard.

But just now, I was doing some tests with my router by setting it to only certain settings (g, b, or n), and i couldn't connect to the internet when it was n only, but could when it was b,g, and a combination if the two.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok i just downloaded the enabler because i was able to find $2 around the house, and was unable to install it, presumably because it was already installed.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe you have a Core Duo machine based on the speed listed in your profile. If so, the enabler doesn't apply to that model, nor is it 'N' capable. Set the router to work with b/g/n and I'll bet it will work fine.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, I have a C2D mac (late 2006 model, bought spring '07).
Right now, I'm on the network set to b,g,and n, but the transmit speed is extremely variable, its been at 52, 74, 130, and just now 19.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, I have a C2D mac (late 2006 model, bought spring '07).
Right now, I'm on the network set to b,g,and n, but the transmit speed is extremely variable, its been at 52, 74, 130, and just now 19.

OK, I might be wrong then - I thought the C2D started at 2.16GHz.

Have you done a scan to see if others in your neighborhood have wireless routers? It's possible that their signals are interfering with yours.

See my Wi-Fi FAQ for details.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are other routers in my neighborhood (atleast 4 at one time). Would changing the frequency of the signal help?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.