using iTunes library from ext drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.0ghz santa rosa
my G4 died so now I have my whole Itunes library on my external drive, but I don't want to put it on my macbook because of the space it will take up. Is there a way I can launch Itunes and it reads that external drive as my music library, and when I add music to Itunes it will save it to that external rather than to save to my macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
To do this go to iTunes preferences>advanced>general and un-select "Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library." Than drag and drop the music from your external hard-drive to the iTunes library. Your external hard-drive will naturally have to remain on when listening to music

Sorry to hear about your G4 :( Great computer

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I use an external for my iTunes Library. Couple of ways to do it, depending on whether you want to let iTunes manage your Library or not.

Don't have to de-select 'Copy files to iTunes music folder...' unless you want to. I still let iTunes manage my Library.
On that same tab, just change the location of your iTunes Music folder to the location your keeping it on your external.

The only real issues I've found relate to launching iTunes when your external is not connected.
1) If you go to importing or playing anything that auto imports to the Library, iTunes will change the location back to the default.
2) If you have any podcasts set for auto download, once again iTunes will change back to default location since it can't find the external.
I do this on occasion, just have to remember when you change the location back to your external, you'll also have to import these into the now changed Library location.

Reaction score
I've done this with my external drive on my iMac (changing the default directory for iTunes) and it works fine, EXCEPT -- I have 4 users on the iMac (mom, dad, son, daughter), and if anyone except me (dad) is using iTunes, they get a dialog saying they cannot save the library. All 4 user accounts are admin level (I've tried this both ways).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
This thread is great. Told me just what I wanted to know....

Thanks guys for the help... .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I've done this with my external drive on my iMac (changing the default directory for iTunes) and it works fine, EXCEPT -- I have 4 users on the iMac (mom, dad, son, daughter), and if anyone except me (dad) is using iTunes, they get a dialog saying they cannot save the library. All 4 user accounts are admin level (I've tried this both ways).

You can get the library to share

The library.xml file (the index as it were) will still be in the Users > Music folder of your mac.

You will need this file on the externall as well, copy it to the shared folder start itunes with the alt key pressed and you will have the option to select the library file now in the shared folder

Select the library file you just copied and now both your music and the library are on the external

Press the alt key in the other account to get iTunes to see the library file, now both accounts are using the same index. Make sure both Users itunes have the same location for the music folder set in their advances preferences.

Also, check that all users have permission to write to the library xml file

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.