• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD Back-up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
So i went out and bought a new LCD TV and bose sound system today to go in my room along with an IR receiver and apple remote for my front row to watch dvd's etc on but thought i might aswell go the extra mile to being lazy and back-up all my DVDs to save me having to search through them all and putting them in my mac to watch them.

So my questions is how do i back-up my dvds onto my mac to an avi or mpeg to allow me to watch them via VLC?

I just bought visual hub and i already have toast titanium, whats the best way to going about converting my DVDs?

Many Thanks

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Since you're asking about backing up commercial DVDs, we unfortunately can't help you as it is against the rules to discuss.

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
oh sorry! i didn't realise. i have DVD collection over 250 movies and it would be handy if they were all on my external hard drive instead of floor to ceiling in my attic!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I know what you mean. I'm in the process of ripping my collection for my HTPC. I was up all night yesterday and I haven't even finished with the As yet and there are around 60 DVDs ripped already.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.