1.1.2 just junk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
since updating to 1.1.2, ive had so many "home screen exits" its not even funny.

mostly with safari, mail, and the weather app, even with the settings menu.

ive tried a lot, and frankly am growing tired of all the bugs in 1.1.2.

ive reinstalled 1.1.2 a few times. even tried to go back to 1.1.1, no go. just a note, the crashes happen on both wifi, and edge, and in all sorts of locations.

:(

also seems harder, or even broken, to get the iphone to restore software ALWAYS 1611 errors

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Downgrading to 1.1.1 isn't as simple as manually selecting the firmware and restoring. I can't give you details as it is against forum rules to discuss, but if you do a Google search for downgrading from 1.1.2 to 1.1.1 you will find plenty of guides that work.

OP
kgeier82
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i just want the thing to work. i dont understand, sometimes it works well, others, it seems to crash to home screen every second i use it.

the only thing that allows me to restore 1.1.2 to it is to uninstall itunes, reboot, install itunes, and plug it in via recovery mode. Ive done this several times today. the first time it restored, it said my SIM was junked, i thought yea right. it finally activated, and all the graphics were bouncing all over the place. like weird, "wrong resolution" four spaces stuff, very odd. kinda like when an old crt monitor is on a bad resolution, and it flickers in paritions on the screen. i tturned the phone off, then back on it went away, the crashing was still there however.

round two now, lets see how this restore has gone. Ive never used anything but itunes to work on the iphone, but im afraid apple will just not see my stuff as problems if i take it in there, or itll work 100% fine then.

here we go again... this screenshot, and then it activates minutes later.

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 8gig, inherited powerbook (beer+mac=power-brick)
theres a new update on jan.1 read my thread im sure all bug fixes will be addressed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Yes Im hoping so too. 1.1.2 is very very buggy. Mine crashes all the time "home screen exits" I guess you could say. It also doesn't answer or really dial out a lot of calls, just clicks as if it were answering or clicks as if connecting but you cant hear anything and they cant hear you. Have to reboot it all the time to make those things quit happening. Works for a day or two then they show back up. Of course the previous update was also buggy too. When I would come out of the subway it would never restore connection to ATT without rebooting. 1.1.2 fixed that bug, but intriduced others. The original 1.0 or whatever it was called was the only non-buggy one the phone ever had. In addition to fixing bugs Im hoping for something fun and useful like A2DP or whatever its called for bluetooth stereo headphone capability but doubtful we will get it.

OP
kgeier82
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
last night, i wouldnt even be able to make changes in the "settings" menu. i would click a sub menu, like brightness, or mail, and it would just exit.

rather annoying when you type in all your new mail account info, and BAM, hello HOME.

today, it didnt do it. Now how the heck am i supposed to show this to apple? I mean if it does it when it wants. Im hoping its just software issues, and i dont have any HW problems. But who knows. THe only thing i can base my ideas on is, the phone worked great at one point, and now does not.

very unhappy. i got to the point last night where i put the phone down, and stop configuring it. i got my contacts on it, and left it be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
this may sound stupid but some peoples home buttons stick could this be a part of it like maybe a short idk. because the new ihpone i got last week with 1.1.2 has absolutely no problems with crashing or unwanted operation.( dont be mean about the button comment im j/w)

[edit]

oh this may be another stupid idea but what if you download the latest 1.1.2 and do a reset and use the shift method to select the one you downloaded :/

Reaction score
I was having the same issues and they occurred with every update since 1.0.2 not just the current. After speaking with an Apple Genius, I came up with this strategy and it's worked perfectly.

1. Sync the phone with iTunes
2. Restore the phone erasing the entire contents
3. After the phone reappears in iTunes, set it up as a new phone (do not restore from the backup)
4. Now sync the phone.

You will lose your saved text messages and you'll have to so through and redo your settings the way you like. This will keep your phone from crashing to the home screen though. It was explained to me that it's a combination of permissions that need to be repaired and preference files left over from 1.0.2 which was almost a completely different implementation of the os.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
this may sound stupid but some peoples home buttons stick could this be a part of it like maybe a short idk. because the new ihpone i got last week with 1.1.2 has absolutely no problems with crashing or unwanted operation.( dont be mean about the button comment im j/w)

[edit]

oh this may be another stupid idea but what if you download the latest 1.1.2 and do a reset and use the shift method to select the one you downloaded :/

I just got my iPhone on thursday, and everything that has been discribed in this thread has been happening to me nonstop. I like everything about the phone other than the fact that every min I'm online with it it crashes and I have to reload the page all over again. It happens while using edge, wifi, in maps, safari, pretty much anywhere. At any given moment it will just bring up thehome screen. I thought it was broken until I read the threads about it. Its really the only dissapointment about the phone I have

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
It only does it when i'm trying to view a large website. And what's worse is it only happens when you least expect it and when you need it the most.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my biggest dissapoint is since i got mine friday i have yet to find a wifi location that works for me ( good thing at&t is stong where i live)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Man, I feel so much better about sticking with 1.1.1. I'll get a Safari crash maybe once a week, sometimes once every two weeks. It's so rare that I know that I must have done something stupid to cause it, like view too many pages at once or go to a site with bad coding. Either that or one of my third-party apps caused an instability.

I feel so sorry for you guys. The iPhone is a great device and you guys shouldn't have to suffer through bugs. :(

Reaction score
Yea really. What's worse is i have to retype all my passwords in the websites that require them. So imagine having to log in every two mins. Gets old

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20in 2.0GHZ Intel Core Duo 2GB Ram
God that's shocking. Seems a lot of people are having issues.

I too am sticking with 1.1.1, touch wood, have no issues whatsover. Come on Apple sort out these problems for your loyal customers!

OP
kgeier82
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i want my 1.1.1 back :) .2 is junk, and i couldnt imagine worse.

seems my home button clicks/rocks back and forth if i push it from 5pm to 11pm, know what i mean?

i dunno. I can wait for new software, but im tempted to take it in a show them what they are doing to it. I simply wont pay 25$ for them to ship it out and give me a loaner.

feels good to see im not alone in this thread for sure. Im not sure if thats a good thing though. Its either a internal memory problem with the phones, or software, im betting on software, and hoping it doesnt require a complete phone swap, what a pain

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just downgrade if its buggy and you dont care about international keyboard and itunes store

OP
kgeier82
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i cant do that with just apple software...if i could i would.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
why not i see instructions everywhere for it for mac just google it my friend. unless theres something i dont know.

OP
kgeier82
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
let me make a suggestion to you all: Go here:

https://bugreport.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/RadarWeb.woa/wa/signIn

I just posted this as my problem, and im going to the geniuses tomorrow for help. they can replace/fix the phone in store, or lose holiday sales until they get it right.

this is what i sent to apple via the "bug reporter"

Iphone with 1.1.2 on it.

Unable to restore via itunes 7.5 (error 1611 always). Constant "home screen" crashes. Sometimes ill use safari, in fact all the time, it will exit to home screen on its own, within 5 seconds or so. Its gotten to the point where if i even try to open the "clock" or SMS, it exits right back out to home screen. When trying to access the settings menu, im usually given about 10 seconds of changes before it forgets the changes and exits out. Very often, it will just RESET the phone completely on its own.

Very disappointing. Ive got an appointment with apple genius tomorrow, i hope they will just replace the phone, as Im about at my end with the iphone's issues.

Its simply unusable in its current state, and i cant do anything to restore it.

Serial Number is: xxxxx

i suggest if you all are having these problems you log in/create a bug reporter account, and let apple know. Ive always gotten responses from them!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.