2.4 or 2.8

Reaction score
I know this processor speed might not make that big of difference but i was wondering what some of you thought. I ask this because i am studying architectural engineering and will have to start using the autocad programs next year and will be doing the dual boot for this. Do you think that the 2.8 would be worth the extra money because of the programs that i will be running on the machine. I want to use it for a long time and will the 2.8 extend the life of the computer that it makes it worth the extra price. Thanks guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
Everyones going to preach, buy the best you can afford and for the most part, i agree.

But a 400 MHZ difference is not going to be that much. Personally, id save the money by buying the 2.4 and dump it into more RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I agree with Jerrfy. For that small a difference in the processor speed, I'd rather spend the money on more RAM. Or even a faster hard drive. Take a look at Western Digital's Raptor drives. I have a pair set as a RAID stripe and they make a very noticable difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
Uh, cant change the hard drive in the new iMac.

Also, you can max out the RAM for half the price of the CPU upgrade.

YES the 2.8 is worth it if you can swing the extra price. If not, your still getting a very fast machine with the 2.4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Uh, cant change the hard drive in the new iMac.

Actually I'm under the distinct impression that you can (though not very easily), but I must admit I overlooked the fact it was an iMac that was under discussion.... doh!:Oops:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.