iCal icon won't change in the dock via Candybar or Copy/Paste Method

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,
I've used candybar and the copy/paste method with great success. However, I can't get the Ical icon to change in the dock. This is strange because the Icon DOES CHANGE in the application folder. I'm thinking it might be permissions, so I took a screen shot. Tell me what you think.
-Greg P
Picture1.png

P.S. I love my bling safari icon via iconfactory.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Safari's Dock icon (in Leopard) is special, because it has to be constantly updated to show the current date (ie, Dec 15 today, Dec 16 tomorrow.) You can't just replace it (in Leopard) with a picture.

Reaction score
technologist - Thanks for that...it was driving me a bit nuts. I also didn't know that the iCal icon changed with the date. Doh!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac Aluminum
Ical also

Thanks--same problem--with Ical--didn't know that.:) :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8 core 2 Duo
So can it be done?

Safari's Dock icon (in Leopard) is special, because it has to be constantly updated to show the current date (ie, Dec 15 today, Dec 16 tomorrow.) You can't just replace it (in Leopard) with a picture.

I think you meant the iCal Dock icon. So is there a workaround to change the icon in the dock?

Reaction score
Solution found!

It can be done. I've searched all over the web and found nothing but I finally figured it out. This method should work on Leopard and Snow Leopard.

First you need to have two replacement iCal icons: one is for the Application with a "fixed" day of the month. The other one is a "blank" or empty icon without the day of the month.

Both icons have to be in icns format, and need to have the following exact filenames:
App.icns
App-empty.icns

To replace these icons, open Finders and go to your Applications folder. Right-click on iCal and select "Show Package Contents". Another Finders window opens up.

You will see the top level folder "Contents". Expand it and look for the "Resources" folder. Expand that and you will see the two icon files. These are the original two which I suggest to make copies and store away for future restoration.

Simply replace these two icns files with the new ones.

Next scroll down and go into another subfolder as follows:
Contents->Resources->iCalDockTilePlugIn.docktileplugin->Contents->Resources

Here you find another App-empty.icns file. Replace it with the new one.

Log out and log back in for the changes to take effect. Enjoy!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.