electric shock/vibration

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro with all bells and whistles
I have recently purchased a new Macbook Pro...has anyone noticed unusual vibration, and more worrying, a sensation of electric shock where the side of the case meets the top? When the drive is running, it hurts the undersides of my arms when they contact that point--it feels like a hair is being pulled.

Comments?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
Wow, your mac is not supposed to do that. Did you buy it online or through the Apple Store?

Call apple if you bought it online

Or take it back to the Apple Store (schedule an appointment). http://www.apple.com/retail/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Actually mine does that on very rare occasions..... sometimes feels like static electricity charge or something.... haven't felt it in a long while tho.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
ha...
my IBM thinkpad does the same thing, but only when it is pluged in. ;)
I have never noticed this on my MBP

Reaction score
shocking!

I know this is a kind of late response, but i have noticed this problem for a while, and I had a recent discovery:

I felt the tingling sensation when my palms contact the case- when typing or sitting at the computer-- but only when I was sitting and my bare feet were touching the metal heat vent on the floor. As soon as I released contact from the vent, I was free to move my palms on the computer without any feeling of small shock.

This is a cause for concern, especially because depending on where my arms are in relation to my computer, there is a small buzz in my external computer speakers as well. Clearly, there are other forces at work? I hope that whenever my feet are connected to another metal surface that no damage is being done to my laptop.

Reaction score
"electric shock / vibration" is due to non grounded charger/plug

Hi
The feeling of electric chock or vibration will vanish if you simply connect your charger to a grounded plug ... but this must be done with the cable that is provided that has also a ground THIRD pin. The feeling of "vibration" is just the 50/60Hz of your power network.
The PC/laptop (any electric device powered at your home/office plugs) acts as a resonance box of inductive electric power from the transformers at your chargers or electric adaptors, if you work without it being grounded. The small TWO wire plug that you connect directly to the charger and then to the wall has NO ground third wire.
Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.